Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

addict

I have recently moved house. No one has lived here for over a year so everything was very neglected and overrun with weeds. Whilst clearing I moved all potatoes I found (all over the garden!) into one area. I have no idea what variety they are, wether early or maincrop.

Other than digging them up is there anyway to tell when they are ready?

fidgetbones

Usually after flowering, or when the tops start to die down.

addict

Thanks fidget  

As its a 'neglected garden you inherited, clear the weeds from around the potatoes and earth them up as this will increase your free crop.. Water will increase the size of the tubers.. But what with all the rain lately you only need to water on dry days..

Potatoes clean up neglected plots so thats a good thing..

You biggest problem with a neglected garden are unwanted tree seedlings like Sycamore that blow in and root and they grow fast and deep.. My neighbours have this mega problem.

Hi all

You have to get your hands in and feel around and nowt tastes better than your first tatty of the year.

My first plants lifted this weekend were rocket an early spud and they tasted fantastic at tea last night

ENjoy your crops and good luck, however the longer left in the ground many pots are at risk from the dreaded blight and our arch enemy the slug

Happy gardening

Advertisement

addict

I had to dig them up. just became impossible to work round them. Got enough off of them for a couple of meals so happy with that. 

BLT ash saplings from huge nearby mother tree have been main problem, along with couch grass, dandelions, plastic pots, screws, nails, old bits of fencing, wire, cat deposits  concrete, .....

Not all bad though. Along with a few potatoes I have a good quantity of garlic, now drying out, strawberries and as soon as I moved here I pulled up leeks some of which were growing in between the patio paving slabs!

Great picture Chris. Making me quite hungry lol.

Hi all

Well the slugs are doing ther job and getting to as many as they can,...............hate them

Started to dig up all my spuds this week and getting various results

Charlotte looking good with minimal damage however nadine damage worse than last year but lifted a few cara and they are fine.

Also seven boxes with Desira in harvested all pots good condition but not that big

Might change some pots next year so any advice welcome fromm my friends out there

This afternoon was washing and grading spuds as well as preping damage ones for mash

Like the food outcome but the job is garbage

Happy gardening

Hi all

yet another day digging up the pots and garden jobs washing and preparing ahead of storing

Another row of Nadine and first row of Cara with slug damage a little better than the first rows of Nadine

Although this job is time consuming at least i will have spuds at hand until March/April next year fingers crossed.

Two rows of Cara left to lift and some Charlotte and thats my lot for the year so praying for good weather next few days

Picture is Nadine and Cara

Happy gardening

Hi all

Well that's the Tatties patch closed off for this year and turned over to let the frosts get at it over winter.

Planning starts for next years crops

Happy gardening

1Runnybeak1

Well done Chris.   I know how much work went into all that.   Very satisfying tho.   How about trying the Pink Fir Apple potato next year if you want to try a new one.  I would advise leaving them in longer than usual.  They are a lovely firm yellow waxy spud. 

Hi 1Runnybeak1

Thanks for your recommendation will look at seed cats

Happy gardening