Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Powdery Mildew on my courgette plant - leave it? Treat it? How?

Hi all

Sorry to be back again so quick with another question.  

I have a courgette plant with powdery mildew (at least that's what I think it is checking against photos online).  So I've been reading up about the condition...  Some say if it isn't too bad and the plant is still doing well it can be left alone.  Others say to deal with it asap to stop it spreading.  Others say it is tough to deal with once it is there and prevention is the cure (bit late for that now, but at least I'll learn for next year).  It is in a bed with another courgette plant (at the back), a large pumpkin plant, and a squash plant.  

So just wondering what you peeps would recommend I do.  

Many thanks

Max

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

My courgettes always get mildew, often quite bad. I remove the worst leaves if really bad but generally leave it, don't over/under-water, and make sure it is ventilated. It looks fine to me.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

That looks ok to me - absolutely agree with Leif.  image

Maybe a bit of seaweed tonic to give the plants a boost.

Last edited: 03 August 2016 10:35:11

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

I don't think that's mildew - some courgette varieties have those white markings on the leaves. Looks perfectly healthy.

• I agree with Onopordum. It's variegation, not a disease.
    Just one of six of my squash plants is showing the same trait.

An explanation here:

https://texasgardeningadventures.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/verigated-squash-leaves-vs-powdery-mildew/

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

imageimage

Hi all

i don't think it's mildew as its a pattern colour taken on by the plant

picture is of a Floridor courgette very healthy but has grey mottling but it's the leaves only and other courgette plants I have have their own colours

happy gardening

• Hi all

Thanks so much for the helpful replies bearing such good news!  Tbh, I was starting to get a bit disheartened by how much was going wrong in the garden, so it is sweet relief to know the courgette plant is fine.  I'm so glad I posted here first.  I was just about ready to go out and snip off all the leaves (which would have meant the whole plant pretty much).  Now that really would have been upsetting - if I later found out I had destroyed it for now reason.

Thanks for saving the day.  image

Max