Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pumpkin flowers

Earlier this year (2015) I planted some pumpkin seeds . (From a pumpkin that I enjoyed eating last year!) I wasn't expecting anyone of them to work but, by some surprise, they had! (I planted about 14 ish seeds and 2 seedlings to a friend.) 

Anyway, they've grown wildly and have loads of flowers. (I know that the flowers turn into the pumpkins.) So, would it be best, if I cut some of the flowers off to make them bigger pumpkins? Or will they grow big by themselves?

Oh, by the way, I do feed them at least once a week with tomato food. Thanks for any tips image

• Yes, don't leave all the flowers on - remove them to let the plant concentrate on the fruit you've got as it's now getting late in the season.

You can use the flowers for cooking, either like this http://vegetarian-recipes.wonderhowto.com/how-to/cook-fresh-pumpkin-flowers-313487/ or stuffed like courgette flowers.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hi,

Thank you Dovefromabove I've been cutting them off ever you suggested it. I think I may of cut off too many flowers as the ones I've kept on seem to not be producing any fruit at the moment! Oh well, I guess you learn from your mistakes.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Pumpkins, depending on variety, need about 3 months. Any fruit setting now has zero chance of ripening.