Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Rhubarb in a potato sack?

Due to project Grand Designs / DIY SOS I have some well established rhubarb plants that are currently a) in the worst possible location b) there just isn't another location to put them (seriously I even checked the neighbours garden!) I don't want to see them get crushed in the hope they will survive long enough for a new area to be made available and taking them straight to the compost bin in the sky isn't my style either SO What are your opinions on digging them up to transplant (for one season) into those large plastic grow bags you use to put potatos in? If I fill them with manure and good compost and make sure they don't dry out will these be enough to keep them in good condition? Suggestions and ideas please!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I think they'll be fine Clari - just don't stress them by harvesting any - they'll survive like that until late autumn when hopefully their Forever Home will be ready image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Clari, I've had 2 in ( rather small ) pots in tunnel for 2 years as I can't find anywhere I want to plant them. If mine are ok, yours will be fine.

Devon.
  • TootsietimTootsietim Posts: 178

My rhubarb spent over a year out of the ground, having fallen behind a compost heap. I think you'll be fine.

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi Clarington   my rhubarb had to move  and I have it in a 20 gallon water tank at end of garden happy growing  will have some soon   ////you can get them big builders buckets  red pink blue all shades take your pick 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Thanks all! I shall set forth with my shovel.