Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

rhubarb

It should grow reasonably ok in a large pot (I would say 50 litre minimum, 100+ litre better) but given the large leaf area it would require a lot of watering - I doubt you could keep up in a hot summer.  It doesn't need full sun so maybe you could plant it somewhere out of the way instead?  I'm sure it would be infinitely happier in the ground.  Whatever you do it needs a *lot* of feeding to be productive - 50/50 composted manure and soil would be ideal.

• If they're not very productive now they're not going to do well in pots.  I agree with Bob - find it an out of the way corner and then spend a bit of time preparing the plot really well - it will repay you in crumbles and pies and have you tried R Blanc's recipe for rhubarb sorbet?  Delicious!!!

And when it grows well because of the good preparation of the soil, it'll be a pleasure to look at too, statuesque and gorgeous - at least the equal of it's ornamental cousins. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Rhubarb can be grown in pots but sometimes/often shows signs of stress and goes into early summer dormancy, especially if the roots get too hot in the summer. It should be easy to find a space for it that may seem unpromising to other plants. If you have a compost heap for example it would absolutely love being grown there and wouldn't seem out of place. 

You may come to love your Rhubarb clump in time! It's difficult to buy decent rhubarb in the shops, and then only for a short time. I know a lot of people would love to have a productive mature rhubarb clump in their garden!