Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Rhubarb

I put in new rhubarb crowns last October (2011). They came on very well and I even got some usable rhubarb during the summer/autumn this year.

My question is:- Should I pull out all the growth now that the season is over or should I just let it die back? 

• I would let it die back and then put the leaves on the composr heap. Mines been going for 5 years and is still producing masses. I havent fed it but it is by the compost heap so i guess its getting enough from there

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Let it die back naturally so the energy from the stems goes back in to the crown, just pick up and throw away/compost any bits that fall off over winter. I've mostly left mine this year as I want to dig it up and divide it in the Spring for new plants, either then or I'll leave it if I spot a special offer for new 'barbs somewhere. 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

we have covered it leaves and all in manure and over the winter an old carpet  this was the advise from all the allotmenteers hope its rightimage

Wrong no carpetimage  im told by the Rhubarb expert,, cover with manure and leave it as origanaly Rhubarb came form outer Mongolia or somewhere very cold and the plant is the type that has to have at least 2 weeks cold so the carpet is a NO,NO there apparantly is a name for plants taht need cold spells it begins with D but i forgot what he said it was  So sorryimage and good luckimage

Alan4711

• Onions and garlic need that word  as well but i cant remember it either

mum used to say i,d forget my head if it was loose,,,,,memory and me dont get on

• Paul NPaul N Posts: 303

My rhubarb has been in place for 12 or 14 years and until they stop producing so much fruit, I shall leave well alone. I usually surround the rhubarb with well rotted manure about now but don't cover the crowns.

• John17John17 Posts: 19

New question! What makes rhubarb bolt/go to seed in the middle of the growing season?

• staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

rhubarb needs lots of water and I have heard that it bolts due to lack of water. try givng  lots daily!  Mags 

• Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to eating lots rhubarb! =) I'm a newbie to this and found this tool really useful if you just get started in gardening. http://www.coblands.co.uk/knowledge-base/plant-finder