Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Root vegetables

When you plant a root vegetable. What yields should I expect. Does one plant produce one root vegetable or does it produce many. 

I.e if I have one beetroot plant will I get 1 or more beetroot? 

Cheers

George

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

The vast majority of root vegetables produce one root per plant.  There are a few exceptions, such as potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes, but strictly speaking the parts you eat from those two are tubers rather than roots.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Awesome cheers for that. Thought that was the case but wasn't sure

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

You can sow beetroot seed and get three plants, the seeds are sometimes stuck together but you can usually see more than one seed when sowing.

You have a choice either to thin out as seedlings to one plant or let two or three beetroots grow in a cluster. I've found if left in a cluster the roots compete, so you get two to three small beetroots which are just as tasty when picked at golf ball size as thinning out to one plant and getting a bigger beetroot.

• I think i put my photo of potatoes, i grew in a cardboard box on the wrong site.It is on the garden gallery photo site.Take a look i put in 7 chitted potatoes and got about 10 pounds.It was just a thrill to get any at all. debra