Start a new thread

1 to 3 of 3 replies

John Harding

I have previously grown white flowering runner beans as they do not get attacked by sparrows as badly as red flowering varieties. Moonlight have been my favoured choice but last year I tried a new improved version called 'Snowstorm'. They were brilliant and were indeed superior to Moonlight in quality, size, flavour etc including freezerbility (is there such a word? I'm sure you will get my meaning.

Now, the point of this post was not to extol the virtue of the beans but to highlight the growing method. I spotted someone else placing their bean sticks in an 'X' formation (I have always done the conventional 'A' frame!). An 'X' formation is easier to do as the crossover of the canes is much lower, and 2. when the beans grow they do not get so tangled at the top of the frame and as the beans hang down they are so much easier to see and to pick. Hope this makes sense!

treehugger80

I use the X frame as well, it makes picking the top beans so much easier seeing as I'm of a shorter stature

I also switched to using the X frame last year. I think the beans get more light as well because they're spaced out at the top, rather than being all congested together. And stretching up to tie 8' canes together at the top was always a real pain in the neck (literally). Obviously the beans need a bit of guidance at the crossover point to make sure one grows up each cane.