London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
4 messages
10/05/2013 at 13:54

I grew pink fir apple potatoes last year, when i cleared out the shed last week i found some potatoes which had been left in the tub i put them in for storage (to use as and when i needed them).

They have started to sprut would these be ok to plant again?

10/05/2013 at 16:28

I'm not clear whether these were forgotten seed potatioes or ones you had harvested?  If the latter, they will probably grow but you will not get as much of a crop from them, and there is always the danger of blight - which new seed potatoes may be protected from.  However, I would probably go for it if I were you. 

10/05/2013 at 16:32

If you ahve doubts  plant them in a bucket/tub,you may end up with a decent meal or two,if not nothing much lost,better than tranferring any blight to new potatoes planted this year.

10/05/2013 at 21:46

Last year I planted 2 rows of Lady Christl potatoes, small ones which were left from the 2011 harvest - they all came up and provided as heavy a crop as the original seed-potatoes. I think it can be a gamble; depends on the type of potato and perhaps the weather - agree with Bookertoo about blight, but if the originals were free of it,you should be OK. If you've got the space it's well worth trying.

email image
4 messages