Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

I grew pink fir apple potatoes last year, when i cleared out the shed last week i found some potatoes which had been left in the tub i put them in for storage (to use as and when i needed them).

They have started to sprut would these be ok to plant again?

I'm not clear whether these were forgotten seed potatioes or ones you had harvested?  If the latter, they will probably grow but you will not get as much of a crop from them, and there is always the danger of blight - which new seed potatoes may be protected from.  However, I would probably go for it if I were you. 

If you ahve doubts  plant them in a bucket/tub,you may end up with a decent meal or two,if not nothing much lost,better than tranferring any blight to new potatoes planted this year.

Last year I planted 2 rows of Lady Christl potatoes, small ones which were left from the 2011 harvest - they all came up and provided as heavy a crop as the original seed-potatoes. I think it can be a gamble; depends on the type of potato and perhaps the weather - agree with Bookertoo about blight, but if the originals were free of it,you should be OK. If you've got the space it's well worth trying.