Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Dovefromabove

We've not grown blueberries before, but OH would like us to give them a go to so I need to pick your brains.

1.  I have plenty of large pots  34cm diam. x 34 high (don't ask me how many litres ... I can't remember and they're still full of tomato plants).  Will these be big enough for blueberry bushes or will we need to go bigger?

2.  RHS have an offer of 3 different varieties for the price of 2. 

They are 'Bluecrop' (described as mid-season) 

' Chandler' (mid to late season) and 'Spartan' (early).

I know that most need pollination by another variety, but will these three pollinate each other, given that they produce fruit at different seasons (or do the flowers coincide?).

BobTheGardener

Hi Dove, if you like large fruits, a couple I can recommend are Draper (early) and Legacy (mid.)  Bluecrop and Chandler are great.  34cm should be fine, certainly for a few years (my older and larger ones are now in 45cm pots.)  I have lots of varieties but they do all seem to flower for a long period so overlapping flowering times shouldn't be an issue.  I think some of them came from Fothergills long season mix which came as good strong plants. 

Dovefromabove

Thanks Bob, that's helpful 

What sort of compost are yours in?  Ericaceous MPC or .... ?

BobTheGardener

I use a mix of ericaceous MPC with some JI ericaceous (which is too heavy to use on its own - I lost a few plants to root rot when I tried that) and a couple of large handfuls of composted bark.  I top-dress them every spring with the 'dregs' from the bottom of my comfrey tea making bucket - they seem to love that!

scroggin

Hi Dove, I can recommend Trehane Nursery, they also produce a practical guide to everything you could ever want to know about Blueberries. 

Advertisement

Paul Charnock

To add to this.

Maybe a slightly bigger pot.

I added a few sulphur chips to the compost mix too which helps keep acidity levels low.

A good mulch for acid loving plants like these is Pine straw which I collect a bag of from our local park under the conifers.

Coffee dregs from filters are also slightly acidic and a decent fertilizer.

You probably know this but only water from rain butts rather than the tap unless it's an emergency.