London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
5 messages
20/06/2012 at 13:20

Help anyone what can I put on my lettuce and broc, cabbage & cauli's? I have small bugs under the leaves causing them to distort. On inspection the older ones are a gold colour and the smaller younger ones seem to start off the same colour as the leaf... I dont know what they are so am unsure how to treat them. Have read about making a rhubarb leave brew and spraying with that for general use but not sure what to do!

Any help is appreciated. many thanks

20/06/2012 at 14:29

Sorry this may sound silly but are you sure they are not eggs from a cabbage white butterfly-how do you know what is young or old?

20/06/2012 at 14:44

ps -perhaps upload a picture?

20/06/2012 at 16:51

If the chemical control route is not your thing, just rub them off and give em a gentle hose down, If you don't want to be bothered with either controls next year. Perhaps invest in some good quality horticultural netting and build yourself some cages/cloches which will keep 70% of the pests out. If the netting is looked after, it should last for many years.

I know what your thinking, I'll checkout the pound shop - false economy imo. I bought some fab netting about 4 years ago. Which seemed like an expense at the time. Still got it, still use, still no holes in it. Now thats, valve for money !!!

Erm.. isn't rhubarb leaves poisonous ??

21/06/2012 at 08:16

I have 4 raised beds, and I have covered them all in a very fine netting called 'Enviromesh'. It comes in a variety of widths, so you can decide what width is best.   You then order what length you require, by the metre. It still allows the light & rain to get through. They claim it keeps the vast majority of aphids out. I installed mine as soon as the seeds were sown, and although I have had to 'go in' many times since, to thin out, etc, the only inhabitants I have seen inside, are the occasional spider, and a ladybird. It is not cheap, and I guess the more you 'open it up', the greater chance you have of something flying in behind your back. But overall, I have no regrets in installing it. I got mine on the internet from Gardening Naturally.com. Good luck. 

email image
5 messages