London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
4 messages
22/03/2012 at 08:57

my daughter bought me some potato bags and seed potatoes - great idea but having filled 6 bags with compost at £10.99 ( my garden compost has been used on the veg patch) I think these will be very costly new potatoes??? I know it is great to have potatoes fresh from your own garden but this seems an expensive way of growing them...

26/03/2012 at 22:23

yes, expensive & when I tried this for xmas new pots it sadly failed...much better in the ground.. maybe between flowers etc as not essential to grow as a crop..

27/03/2012 at 18:15

Hello GillT,

Do not despair! First of all, potatoes grown in bags of compost are wonderful to harvest and look extremely clean. It will save you a great deal of bother. Secondly, your compost will not be lost afterwards. You can use it as a wonderful mulch, or even for growing more things in pots next year. It's true that you shouldn't re-use compost for your most precious projects, but if you have a sturdy, healthy plant that simply needs re-potting you could do a lot worse.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team.

27/03/2012 at 20:27
There really is something so rewarding in growing your own veg. I use the potato bags which have flaps in them that open near the bottom for easy harvesting
email image
4 messages