London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
7 messages
08/10/2012 at 13:21

This year I have grown what I thought were squash, but as they have developed I'm not sure now. The seed company must have got the seed wrong. I dont mind but they are nothing like I have had before. They should have been butternut squash,

To look at they started growing as pattypans , instead of scalloped  they have like a curved hook in the nippedin bit of the scallop. They are a solid squash/gourd and yellow and green and about 4 inches across. Very decorative. I will try and get a photo  uploaded. But not sure how to go about it but will experiment this evening.

09/10/2012 at 06:58

Waiting for a pic 

09/10/2012 at 22:56

Hi  Dovefromabove I have downloaded some photo's on to my laptop into 'my pictures'

section . But where do I go from here, can you help please- ?

Ive never sent a photo email either so I'm  a bit stuck right now.

09/10/2012 at 23:11

There is a tree icon above where you type your post. If you click on that a  window will then open and you will then see a button that says select- click on that. It will then give you choices of where the pictures are that you want to upload.You will then have to find the picture in "my pictures" as this is where you have saved it.

Once you have found it, click open and then upload. As long as it's not too big, it should then upload onto here.

Probably sounds more complicated than it is- give it a go, once you know how to do it is very easy

10/10/2012 at 00:23

Thank you Hollie-Hock I will copy this out for the next time.

I have already found out the answer to my question . These fruits are gourds  'Crown of thornes ' I am now trying to find out who they are from . As  far as I know I havent bought any gourd seed. I am sure the packet was bought as butternut squash. 

10/10/2012 at 05:49

http://rareseeds.com/crown-of-thorns-gourd.html

I've put a link to a picture in case anyone is interested (I am ).  Occasionally seed companies do make mistakes with the labelling of seeds - I once purchased what the packet said were dwarf beans, only to find that they were Borlotti Firetongue climbing beans which rampaged over my tiny back garden (but they did provide me with a lovely crop of beans). I received an apology.

According to the link above they can be used as summer squash so are edible.

However, this link http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-seeds/half-hardy-annual-seeds/gourd-crown-of-thorns/2561TM  showing a slighly different fruit says they are not edible.

It's probably a variation that occurs on several different squash/gourd varieties,  and has then been selectively bred for - which do yours look like?

10/10/2012 at 09:55

Mine  are definatly the T/M  fruits and in that case I shall not be serving them up.I am relieved that I queeried them or this could have been a differant deadly lesson . Thankyou to  Dovefromabove and to Hollie Hock for your help.At least I have found out how to upload my photo's!

email image
7 messages