Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Starting seeds indoors

This year, I've decided to try and grow all my fruit & veg from seed. I usually buy plug plants, with mixed success, and I've heard if you grow from seed you can end up with healthier plants. Anyway, I've bought lots of module trays and plan to start my tomato, leek and beetroot seeds indoors. Any tips for this??

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Do you  have a greenhouse?

• Bf206Bf206 Posts: 234
    A small lean to. I was thinking I'd start the trays indoors while the weather is freezing, then move them outside when warmer?

Dont be in too mush of a rush especially with tender veg like tomatoes-they wiil need good allround light to grow stocky plants

Leeks and beetroot dont need heat to germinate-they would be better started off in the lean to-so you get strong- not soft growth from being too warmimage

• Bf206Bf206 Posts: 234
    Ah ok great. Tbh, I suspect my wife would have vetoed having lots of seed trays hanging about the house anyway... I'm in central London so tend to get the warmer of the UK weather. I guess it depends on the weather (frosts rare tho here) in terms of when I sow things in trays?

I would start soon-but this cold spell shows little sign of going away any time soon-the problem is not the germination but what happens next

I always think the beginning of March is fine for most things-start too early- and that is when it gets trickyimage

• Is it too early to start off broad beans either indoors or in an unheated greenhouse

BensGrandad wrote (see)

Is it too early to start off broad beans either indoors or in an unheated greenhouse

Different prospect altogether-a hardy veg-many plant out broad beans in October to over- winter-so sow now but not indoors -greenhouse is fineimage

• What about summer cabage which the packet says sow in March.

BensGrandad wrote (see)

What about summer cabage which the packet says sow in March.

Greenhouse againimage

• Is it too early to start off broad beans either indoors or in an unheated greenhouse