Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sungold Tomatoes

After growing Sungold tomatoes for a number of years for some reason this year has been poor in regards as to the flavour,colour and texture. Ive 24 plants grown in polytunnel all the same just poor quality to what ive had in the past, anyone had same problems with this variety

• I found personally it's not been the best year for tomatoes in general.

• Sungold were great for me, so were Black Krim and Costoluto. But they did take a long time to ripen and alot I picked green and ripened indoors.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

everyone has raved about the sungold we've grown this year. The best of about 8 varieties I've got

Devon.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hit and miss for me on tomatoes this year too. I think the temperatures just didn't help. 

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Verdun, once the toms are on their way to ripening the plants themselves are pretty much redundant. The fruit isn't getting much at all from the plant.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    They didn't get enough sunimage
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Sounds like it's been a pretty ordinary summer all over the place. The usual explanation for less-than-stellar crops. I had it too hot here for about two and a half months. I had a production hiatus of about that length, toms won't set fruit in constant extreme temps. They restarted when the temps dropped but it was late in the season by that stage.

And, yes, tom growing can be over-complicated. In general terms, keep the beggars alive and ticking over. It's that simple.

• Our Sun Gold were great. Also wonderful were Flamingo and Sun Grape.  At least half of our crop is still on the plants, and looking very green, on this wet, grey and cold day.  Looks like it'll be a good year for tomato chutney!