Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sweet Potatoes

Hi All. Just been putting pen to paper and planning out my veggie beds for the coming year.  I am wondering about growing some sweet potatoes for a change.  I find they go really well in curries, with and without meat,  and my grandson likes them as mash instead of potatoes. Has anyone got some hints about how to grow them?  I believe they are not related to ordinary spuds so may require some other growing conditions. Any ideas?  Thanks

• I dont know the growing conditions but I know they are very veratile and tasy to eat and full of good things .

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    Thompson and Morgan (and I imagine lots if other places too) supply sweet potatoes suitable for growing in the UK. They have plenty of information on their website about how to grow them too. Keep us updated I'd be interested to hear how your crop does. image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I like sweet potatoes but haven't grown them, according to the T & M website they like warm growing conditions preferably in a GH or polytunnel, well worth a look. Keep us informed, you could become our resident overnight expert on growing them image 

• My understanding is that they need a longer warm period than is possible in the UK without a polytunnel or greenhouse.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks everyone. Don't know about becoming the "expert"image but will give it a try. Growing them under black plastic has been mentioned. Will keep and eye out for more info.  Something to mull over whilst waiting for some outdoor warmth (Ha ha).  Oh to get going out there!

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

I have grown sweet potatoes a couple of times with limited success but as I like them so much I am trying again this year image

Pam LL x

• hi how have the sweet potatoes done this year for you please, and do any off you know if they will regrow next year from small bits of roots left in from this year

• Hi,

You can buy slips online and these come wrapped up but will need to be revived in a jar of water for 24hrs, unfortunately they take longer to grow and the tubers are smaller.

However you can now also buy pot planted young plants too and they're near enough a similar price. They grow much stronger and quicker and produce much bigger and larger quantities.

THey require a long growing season though so you wouldnt be lifting them until just before the first frosts

Hope this helps!

• thanks Greenfingeredsmoggy i did grow them this year from slips not very well im afraid i was wondering how Lilylouise and madeleine had managed this year,

i dont know if mine were short of water the tops looked ok but not a lot going on underneath