Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomato problems

One of my plants has decided to wilt, pretty badly. I first noticed it about a week ago, I have increased the watering and given it an extra feed but there has been no change. I have now stopped watering it to see if that will help.

The plants on either side are fine (more or less)

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

• Quite possibly verticillium wilt, it’s a very common soil borne disease and so easy to transmit, you can normally find brown/grey streaks in the stem as it chokes the xylem.

There’s not really anything you can do although high humidity and lower heat will help the plant survive a bit longer, as will hypothetically adding potash and phosphorous which are used in the vascular tissue.

• bigolobbigolob Posts: 127

I wonder, have you been overwatering your Toms? It is possible that the problem is due to this, although I would not argue with The Bearded One (what a wonderful name) who seems to know the biology and physiology of plants. I would not be expected to be questioned on medical matters especially Orthopaedics!!