Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

tomato rot

I am guessing I had tomato rot this year in green house...one third up all of them looked rotten but they continued to grow..very very poor yield though...

what causes this ..I know we had hot/wet summer but thought it would not effect ones in gr/hse..image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

It has been a bad year-blight seems to have affected a lot of tomato crops by the look of the discussions on here-today I removed mine from the greenhouse all affected rotten stems etc

It also happens to the great and the good-go towards the end of here-about 25 or so minutes in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01ms1nk/Gardeners_World_2012_2013_Episode_23/

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731
    jean linsley wrote (see)

I am guessing I had tomato rot this year in green house...one third up all of them looked rotten but they continued to grow..very very poor yield though...

what causes this ..I know we had hot/wet summer but thought it would not effect ones in gr/hse..image

It sounds like fungal problems, jean. In fact, toms in greenhouses are more prone than toms grown outside. The enclosed environment can be an incubator for disease.

• jean6jean6 Posts: 157

thanks for all advice plus links... I grow in gr/hse every year & have super dupa crops.. but guess it was all down to weather... Grn/hse is usually all open in summer etc..

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Weather can play a huge part with fungal problems. Fungal spores thrive in damp conditions. Air circulation is an important defence both in the greenhouse overall and in terms of the plant themselves. Keep plenty of space between them and don't allow great dense lumps of foliage to develop on individual plants.

• What sort of rot did you have Jean? I had a great growth this year.

I've got a great guide which can help identify what the rot is and what could have caused it. Best Juicy Tomatoes