London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 49 messages
08/07/2012 at 20:12

Some of my tomatoe plants are all leaf and no flowers, is it too late now, are they unlikely to have flowers and should I just throw them on the compost heap?

08/07/2012 at 20:19

Everything is late this season because of low temperatures and light levels.  Mine are only starting to come into flower.  Be a bit more patient 

08/07/2012 at 20:26
Mrs Lilly Pond wrote (see)

Some of my tomatoe plants are all leaf and no flowers, is it too late now, are they unlikely to have flowers and should I just throw them on the compost heap?

If they are outside it is going to be a struggle this year in my opinion -if they are in the greenhouse do not be tempted to feed or they will just keep producing leaf-as has been said be patient

08/07/2012 at 21:09

Time and patience, for this dark wet summer it is early yet - you never know, we may get a decent late summer.   If so, you will be surprised how things will catch up.  This is not, in spite of what you might be reading, the first dark wet summer we have ever had - and usually, given a chance, things do catch up. 

08/07/2012 at 21:42

Mine are exactly the same, so we'll be racing to see who's first, yours or mine!

09/07/2012 at 07:56

As Geoff says, avoid the temptation to feed them. In fact, don't feed them at all and keep watering to an absolute minimum. Regardless of the weather, they are more likely to produce flowers - the first step to reproducing themselves - if they think they're struggling for survival.

09/07/2012 at 08:50

Ahhhhhh yes, I'm not always patient.......I'm new to tomatoe growing so wasn't sure what they were supposed to be doing and when.  They are in the greenhouse so I will just watch and wait and wait and wait.........Keep me posted Insomnia 1973  Thanks all for your tips and comments, much appreciated.

09/07/2012 at 19:39

An excellent tip for the future is to not plant them out into the greenhouse until you can see the first tiny set of flowers forming - keep them in their small pots until then.  If you plant them out before any flowers are forming, they can produce lots of lush greenery and delay the production of fruit.   By keeping them in small pots, they think that they will soon run out of nutrients and will try to produce seeds before they die - "tough love" if you like!  Don't worry if they look a bit leggy - once you can see the first flowers forming, plant them deep, up to the first set of leaves - the buried part of the stem will produce extra 'adventicious' roots.

09/07/2012 at 21:52

Thanks BobTheGardener, perhaps I was a little eager this time round to get them on their merry way ! I will definitely try your suggestions next year.

09/07/2012 at 22:38

Oh man Bob! I just repotted mine a size up today, up to their first leaves!! LOL But I'll remember for next year!

10/07/2012 at 21:05

I put mine in grow bags ages ago, no wonder they are all leaf and no flower! 'Tough Love' from now on .....

10/07/2012 at 21:51

LOL Lilly!! Think we'd better go and sit in a corner with dunces hats on! I know I need to! 

13/07/2012 at 18:16

Yes, see you there Insomnia, I'll bring the biscuits !

13/07/2012 at 18:47

Ha ha ha. I'd bring the strawberries, but I can't grow them properly either! 

14/07/2012 at 14:32

Heheh!  We were all dunces once - when I first started growing tomatoes, I fitted a spraying system into the greenhouse and ended-up with every tomato disease it is possible to get!  I wish the internet was around then - sites like this one are fantastic for fast-tracking by learning from those who have "been there, done that!"

14/07/2012 at 15:45

I got some fruit on mine early, but since the weather changed they've just sat there as tiny green marbles anyway! 

Same with the early chillis. Flowers now either aren't appearing or if they do they aren't setting fruit as the temperatures are proabably just too low.

I'm not really having to water anything even in the greenhouse. I've probably watered the tomatoes & chillis in their pots once a month, if that. They just aren't drying out. 

Still time for it all to change I reckon.

14/07/2012 at 16:25

It's amazing that when you think gardening is easy if you don't do it, but when you start, there's so much to learn. It's like being back at school again sometimes when I'm googling stuff!

14/07/2012 at 16:45
Don't feel so guilty now about excess toms flowering in their weeny pots- they were sown in the hope of an outdoor crop, but haven't been out of the gh yet. Might give them a bit more spacious accommodation, withold feed and see what happens.
14/07/2012 at 17:33

When did you all sow your seeds? I sowed mine in February and put them in a heated propagator until germinated. Then brought them on on a window sill until the temp in my unheated greenhouse was constantly above seven degrees and then put them in there. I have now got plants with plenty of fruit on and have been pulling ripe ones for a week. I live in East Yorkshire and the weather has been as bad here as everywhere else.

14/07/2012 at 17:40

I think I sowed mine in late March, but will try and get them going earlier next year. Have invested in a fairly substantial heated propagator, so should be able to nurse them along in that in the GH. It feels as though this whole season's been a write off.

1 to 20 of 49 messages