Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomatoes

I have a number of toms (15) grown from seed and potted on which are now at the point of outgrowing their pots.  I don't have the option to re-pot them into bigger pots (got none) and I don't think planting them in the ground is a goer (limited space).  My question is - would it be possible to plant them in a raised bed that previously I had been using to grow potatoes and leeks.  They have all flowered but so far only one is showing any fruit.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

A bit late in the season for potting on Toms. Where are you?

Anywhere north of the midlands, and you will not get ripe tomatoes this year.image

• I'm sure I read somewhere that provided you feed tomatoes every time you water them, they don't necessarily need greater quantities of soil.  I may be misremembering, though!  However, you don't really have much to lose by trying this and you may even get a tomato or three this year.  Fingers crossed!

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Probably best not to move them once the fruit has set, in any case be wary of ground that has grown spuds because toms and spuds can fall to some of the same diseases.

Its been a terrible year so far in the west of Scotland (cold, dull, wet), everything seems to be running late, but the last couple of days of warm weather have made a massive difference to my tomatoes, a few tomatoberry have started turning red, and the Shirley's have increased in size massively. If the promise of a warm September comes true you might just be lucky to get some fruit from yours - hopefully the flowers have been pollinated and if you look closely there will be tiny green balls hiding behind the dead petals.

If they are cordon/vine tomatoes and you haven't already, now is probably the time to pinch out the growing tips (and keep on top of side shoots) so the plants will concentrate their efforts on the fruit. I have done most of mine already, but struggling to find time to go through and check them all.

By the way, I sowed my seeds in propagators pretty early, probably in the first week or 2 suggested on the packets, hate to think where they would be now if I'd sown them late like last year!

• I was half certain that planting toms after potatoes would be a bad idea but had to check anyway.  

I wish I could share the optimism of Boater in seeing wee toms form at the mo and the added bonus of a warm September but I am Scottish and therefore a pessimist. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Longshanks - it's what we do best - pessimism image

I'm pretty much giving up on my toms. Very few will ripen with the low temps. Even daytime temps have been very low through July.  Hopefully next year will be better - last two years have been terrific. If you've nothing forming - it's highly unlikely you'll get any fruit now. I've only got about 15 or 20 fruits on the vines and I'm just cutting my losses and chucking the plants which have nothing, or very little. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Longshanks, I assume they're indeterminates? What size pots are they in?

Apart from that, if you want to move them, dig holes in your raised bed. Replace the soil from the holes with fresh soil/potting mix/whatever. Slide the plants out of the pots trying not to disturb the roots too much. Slip them into the fresh soil in the holes, tamp down well to get rid of air pockets, and water well. Sounds like the weather isn't scorching hot but do the work in the early evening anyway. Give the plants overnight to begin their adjustment. 

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Mine have really come a long way in 2 or 3 days of decent weather, some trusses I was considering cutting off because the flowers dropped weeks ago and no sign of tomatoes have suddenly started developing tomatoes.

Of course, I am growing under glass which gives me a chance to keep the temperature up for ripening. I suspect I may be trying green tomato chutney this year though - I am more of a pickle person normally.