Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Toscana Strawberries

LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
I ordered some of these last night as I found a fairly good special offer and they're supposed to be ever bearing. Has anyone had any experience of growing them and is there anything I should know?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I have just bought some, mail order, for the first time. They are nice healthy little plants to plant in a pot. Looked good in the brochure, with unusual pink flowers. Here's hoping!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

http://www.gardencentermagazine.com/FileUploads/image/products/201237/ToscanaStrawberry.jpg

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    They certainly look lovely don't they? I'm hoping the fruits are good too. Where did you get yours from Lizzy? Mine are from T&M.

Mine are from a French company Jardin Express, as I live in France.

Ah yes, I should have read your info first image

I've read up a little on them, there's not much around as they're a fairly new variety, each plant should produce a kilo of fruit each year. They also won an award in 2011 although I'm not sure if that's for their attractiveness or being a good strawb.

I'm quite excited about them really, I would have dug over the patch at my allotment ready for them today had it not been for the snow. image
  • CLERCLER Posts: 56
    What is a good trailing variety please
  • I've also ordered some from T&M, mine are a clubcard deal, expecting them soon as the weather finally looks like getting a bit warmer - during the daytime at least.

Excellent, we'll have to be the Toscana experts then image

Well mine arrived this morning, except they aren't Toscana, they're a variety called Anais with a substitution note and a £5 money off voucher. They look a little worse for wear (well a jumbled mess to be honest) but I'm off to pot them up anyway with the hope of fruit in 16-20 months... image

Mine are getting pretty deep pink flowers now. I would feel pretty cross about your order, and they took a long time to send them.