Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Waterlogged area

I have an area at the top of my plot that gets very waterlogged and at the moment is still very squelchy.    What could I plant in it when it dries out a little and wouldnt be harmed by future water saturation.    I thought of planting some rhubarb which apparently is available in Garden Centres almost all of the year round and planting it as soon as some drier weather comes so as to geta hold or at least when the water has nearly gone.   Is this possible?

• BensGrandadBensGrandad Posts: 21

Any advice would be greatfully accepted

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

Are you looking for vegs or flowers?

• Laura CorinLaura Corin Posts: 59

Do you mostly want to dry it out or do you want it to be productive as well?  I have a squelchy area that I have planted with willow cuttings for winter colour/cut stems/catkins.  The area is away from any drains - you have to be careful about willow roots getting into pipes.  I bought mine from World of Willow.

I was hoping to plant some veg in it but thought  about rhubarb

• RobotRobot Posts: 137

Try some celeriac - they love water and taste good too.  I gave up growing them when my water bill almost tripled one year when we'd had very little rain and my water butts had emptied but I had to keep the celeriac going.

I grow my three rhubarbs in quite a hot sunny spot without ever watering and they do really well.  In fact, had some for pud today.  It gets a little well rotted manure each year which probably helps to retain some moisture.  I would imagine that a boggy site would rot the crowns - but I could be wrong.

For flowers, I would plant arum lily - Zantedeschia
    Don't be put off by people who say they are for funerals.  That's just rubbish.   I grow them in a boggy site and they are absolutely beautiful.  You can get other colours besides white but I much prefer the white ones.  A small plant will quickly multiply and in about 3 years you can lift and divide them easily with a spade and turn your boggy site into a beautiful area.  Perhaps some ferns too with some day lillies, astilbies and hostas (watch the slugs).  Not forgetting the gorgeous ligularia - one of my favourites for leaf colour.  They would all love the bog.

How is the best way to buy celeriac is it in plant form or seed and whne is he best time to plant it.    Is it too late for this year

I used to grow mine from seed but it is a bit late now to start them off.  They can take a while to germinate and then need a long growing time.  Best to see if you can get them as plants.  If not then you will be ready for next year. 

If you do manage to get some plants then when they are established and starting to produce their bulb you must cut off the leaves which are growing from the sides of the bulb and just leave the leaves on the top.  They sound like they are fiddly to grow - what with the water and the snipping of the leaves - but they are very easy and you will be rewarded with a grand harvest.  When you see how much celeriac costs in the shops you will be glad you grew them.  We eat them instead of pototoes and now I have stopped growing them our food bill has increased. 

Incidentally, when boiling celeriac always cook them in half milk and half water as this takes out any bitterness.  They also make great chips - peel and chop into fat chips, drizzle over some olive oil and pop them into a hot oven.  They store really well too.  Good luck.

I couldnt find any celeriac plants so bought celery instead and then having bought them went into another garden centre and they had celeriac. talk about sods law.  Will perservere with celery for this year and try celeriac next year from seed.

I know, that sod's law should be abolished .....  Celery isn't a patch on celeriac but you'll be ready next year.  Good luck.

I thought later about a blueberry bush or two.  They love moist soil but it has to be on the acid side.  I've just taken mine out of their pots and put them in the ground as they are very hardy and came through our severe winter fine.  They have to have a good mulch on top to conserve the water - I use shredded conifer branches - and they don't like the heat of the sun too much so a little dappled shade at the hottest part of the day is good.  So, celeriac chips for main and blueberry pie for pud - nothing better.