London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
14 messages
08/02/2013 at 08:02
08/02/2013 at 08:55
Kale and leeks. I'm forcing rhubarb in an old compost bin though, hopefully I'll be able to cut some of that soon.
08/02/2013 at 08:57
Oh and lettuce in the GH, and oriental greens in the garden, though the mustard's getting eye wateringly hot now.
08/02/2013 at 10:52

Just perennal spinach left now

08/02/2013 at 11:54
Cake I made other day, does that count
08/02/2013 at 12:25
No, that doesn't count- would put a smilie on there, but this is my first post and I don't know how that works yet!
The reason I asked what we are eating fresh now, I wondered if the poor growing season last year has had much of an effect .
I still have Brussels, leeks and spinach i can eat now and broccoli to come.
What we have in our storage bins and freezers doesn't count either!
08/02/2013 at 13:24
Hehehe depends on what you are using to post for smileys, I'm on iPad and doesn't give me the smileys on GW site but I know text version of some
If you have the boxes above where you type should see selection of smileys above .
08/02/2013 at 14:42

Hello Figrat, they've been asking where you are on "Forkhandles".

I have leeks, perpetual spinach and Purple sprouting broccoli in the veg garden, onions and butternut squash in the garage, and tomato soup and runner beans (from the garden) in the freezer.

Click on the arrow next to the smiley on top and a selection for you to choose from should appear.

08/02/2013 at 17:37

For eating right now I've got kale, one last meal of leeks  and an abundance of jerusalem artichokes

08/02/2013 at 18:04

Nothing.  Cavolo nero, purple sprouting, Swiss chard, pak choi and mizuna all frozen to an unsightly mush.

However, the rhubarb is pushing through so we'll be eating that soon enough and I still have some blackcurrants and chillies in the freezer. 

08/02/2013 at 18:49

I'm sorry about your Cavolo Nero...mine got zapped by the cabbage whites last year, but I did what I could and thought I'd leave it...and there are a few pickings to be had. Am spring cleaning the bathroom, replacing very pretty but insulatingly pathetic voile curtains with thermal curtains (have an 8' single glazed arched window in there). So a la Alys Fowler am saving the voile to peg over this year's Cavolo to deter the little buggers. 

Surprised your chard's been mushed...I guess continental weather can be harsh.

08/02/2013 at 18:56

There are about 6 swede, around a dozen sticks of brussels, and maybe one parsnip still in the ground.  A sack of spuds, half a sack of onions, several garlic and one winter squash left in the shed.  Hmm.. woodpigeon casserole with nobs, anyone?

08/02/2013 at 19:12

Ah Bob you reminded me! I still have a row of parsniip (twisted and stunted probably), loads of chillies and garlic from last years sowing. And the parsley in the ground is very good - ever since Monty said it was a root veg I have been planting in the ground rather that in pots and he is so right - when I dig them up in spring to put the new plants in the roots are as good as I wished my parsnips were ! And figrat I still have chard too which I had forgotten about cos I've not picked any for a few weeks now so overall not bad!

12/02/2013 at 15:13

Just leeks now.  Am poised and waiting for my purple early sprouting to produce something - hopefully in the next couple of weeks!

email image
14 messages