Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What do you do with a raspberry glut?

Hi, with all the rain and sunshine we've had record amounts of summer raspberries which I've made into delicious raspberry jam.

I've also just taken on an allotment with two 6m rows of autumn raspberries. We've already got lots of jars of jam and will have more raspberries in a few weeks than we can eat fresh (which is always the best way to eat them if you can in my opinion). Does anyone have good ideas of the best way to use a glut other than in jam?

You can get my raspberry jam recipe along with my yummy scone recipe in this week's blog post:

https://dogwooddays.net/2016/08/05/scones-with-raspberry-jam-and-clotted-cream-perfect-for-a-summer-afternoon-tea/

If you do take a look at the recipes, I'd love it if you could leave me a comment with your raspberry ideas. Thank you image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Raspberry vodka http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/raspberry-vodka-recipe-362/

Otherwise just put them in plastic boxes and freeze - they don't go mushy like strawberries and can be used for desserts up to a year later - we had a Raspberry and Lemon Curd Pavlova at Christmas image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Raspberry sauce/coulis for winter desserts and ice cream.   Raspberry cordial or liqueur.  Frozen whole.  Bottled in syrup.  

Lots of raspberries here too but the summer ones have had so much rain they taste watery so I'm leaving them for the birds and passers by.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Raspberry vinegar is very good (I'm searching for my recipe, but there are loads on line).  It can be diluted with soda water and ice for a refreshing drink.  It can be drizzled over desserts.  If you reduce it slightly it can be used instead of balsamic vinegar.  It can also be used in a vinaigrette dressing, which gives an unusual kick to salads.

A dessertspoonful in a small cup of warm water makes a soothing drink for sore throats, too.

I also have made raspberry jelly (kids who don't like pips enjoy this), and the berries can be mixed with any other soft fruit to hand and made into Jumbleberry Jam. 

As Dove has said, the fruit freezes beautifully (I still have some In my freezer from last year), both as the individual berries or pureed with a little icing sugar to make a coulis (instant sauce for ice-cream).

Raspberry curd would be interesting - though I haven't made it.  Apple and cinnamon curd is delicious, and I see no reason why raspberry curd (perhaps with a dash if kirsch?) wouldn't work well.  Be inventive!

• hoegloryhoeglory Posts: 69

You can make smoothie for breakfast.  

• IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364

Raspberry ice cream! Just sugar, raspberries and cream. I have a small Philips ice cream maker that really does the job.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I like putting raspberries on my morning cereal. If they're frozen, I take them out of the freezer the evening before and put them in the fridge overnight. It's a great way to make sure I always have fruit for breakfast.

• Thanks for the great ideas. I will be freezing some whole and I'd love to try ice cream as we make sorbets but have never ventured into ice cream making. I love the idea of raspberry curd - we've made apple and cinnamon butter and it was gorgeous,so I'll definitely give that a go. Smoothies are a favourite with the kids and straining out the pips before serving is definitely appreciated. image

Last edited: 05 August 2016 21:03:37