London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 3°C
6 messages
30/01/2013 at 16:43

Every year I decide to try to grow at least one new vegetable, and I have to say I've been disappointed with my recent efforts:

Celtuce - bitter green leaves with no point or interest to them.

Asparagus peas - didn't thrive, stayed tiny and produced only a few, tough little pods.

Chicory - mine turned messy and slimy, and tasted horrible

Petit Posy, a sort of sprout-kale cross that turned out to have the worst features of both.

Scorzonera - long rope-like tubers that were almost impossible to dig out of the ground and tasted of nothing when cooked.

Now you'll be thinking it's just me, but I grow lovely carrots, tomatoes, courgettes, chillis, peas, beans, parsnips, potatoes and salads. I just can't seem to be successful with anything more unusual (unless you count the chilllis, or land cress). Perhaps they are unusual for a reason ...

Anyway, I am undaunted and this year I'm trying cavalo nero (black kale).

How about you?

30/01/2013 at 17:27

I grow lots of the same types of vegetables every year in my land (I mean the plants, are not for sale, only our kitchen garden). I also like to try new things as often as I can. It's fun to experiment. But there are a few that I grow year after year, only to end up wondering why I continue to grow them. I don't know if I feel obligated to grow them, or if I'm too stubborn to give up, or I feel overly optimistic in the spring, or I just want to use up the seeds, or... Maybe I have a small idea for you (include me). Try to grow vegies as a THEME. It's mean like MEDITERRANIAN, or upper north folks (as Canada or Finnland), or, if you can a tropic/subtropical area, or a water area with water spinach, etc....I don't no, but you understand, what I mean?I have to think about this, now...greetings, ThaiGer.

30/01/2013 at 17:33

Green Magpie, i agree with you about Scozonera and Aparagus Peas. I love cavalo Nero, and have some growing at the moment, I treat it as a cut and come again plant. I roll the leaves up tightly and slice them fine and then steam.

30/01/2013 at 17:35

I tried asparagus peas and they were small and tough too. I always try to grow brussels sprouts for Christmas but they always fail and I buy them. They worked so well when I lived in Kent!

30/01/2013 at 20:38

Celeriac.  Massive in the shops, I never grew them like that.  Swedes much prefer to grow in a field - buy them.

31/01/2013 at 09:50

Yup, I had already dismissed celeriac because I can imagine how small and lumpy mine would turn out (plus, it sounds as if you have to start them in modules or something). And swedes - well, how many swedes can you eat? I buy one occasionally (most recently to have with haggis!) but not very often.

But, to be positive, I am going to plant my shallots soon. They always do well.

email image
6 messages