Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What peas are the best

Hi image Gonna grow more peas next year, what would you reccomend please? And does anyone have any tips on stopping pea moth please image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Those little round green ones I like image

Sorry.....silly head on image I've never grown peas, apart from sweet ones.

• Mangetout. You get a much earlier crop as you don't have to wait for the peas to ripen. And they are amazingly sweet eaten raw in salads or steamed for a couple of minutes. And none of the faff of shelling them. I've grown the green and yellow ones but you can get purple ones too. Never had any problem with pests.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Tut tut OL, will let you off todayimage

Stupid question Poddington, does the moth still lay eggs on mangetout? I would be worried there were grubs i couldnt see, i did grow some mangetout this year but i lost a lot to bean and pea maggot so there were only 4 plants left and not worth harvesting image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

We had a thread last year on things we would or wouldn't grow again - I'm pretty sure there were some pea varieties on there - I've bumped it up for you image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks Dove, ive always grown the cheapest ones i can find, usualy early onward, there must be something better by now! image

I will have a look at that thread image
  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Sugar snap peas are nice and sweet, if you let them go too far you can still pod the peas, you need to cover your peas with fine mesh or fleece when they are flowering and the moth is about (late June to August)

https://www.kingsseeds.com/vegetable_seeds/Pea%20Sugar%20Snap/P-30343

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Hurst Greenshaft are reliable, I have found.  I tie the odd one here and there to the pea netting, and the others cling with their tendrils and shoot upwards. 

I didn't have any infestation problems this year, but past experience has been that it is the later pickings that are susceptible, and regular harvesting seems to minimise the problem.

Thanks guys image
  • Never had any problems with moths on man get out. I assume because the peas never really get that big? And because they are pretty much finished by July. 

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 137

Best variety? Hurst Greenshaft, I would say, without a doubt. Does anyone know of a Mangetout variety that is less than 6ft tall?