Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

When to upgrade pot size?

Just wondering if it's okay to move from 3" pots to 10-12" pots whenever or if plants should be left to really outgrow the 3" pot? I assume you don't want to be staking in 3" pots but I have cucamelons and Ukranian purple tomatoes which look like they'll be wanting support soon, especially the former even though they're not that tall, the latter are about 8" tall atm. I was planning to set support up once they were in full sizes pots.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Yes you can pot on both of them if they have filled the pot with roots or if they have grown so they need support.
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Joe, the toms can go into their growing pots now. 10-12" is the minimum, a bit bigger would be better.

• Joe Brown2Joe Brown2 Posts: 65

Cheers guys, I think they should be okay with a few more inches so will leave them until they're in that range.

It's more the cucamelon I feel, they're still pretty small but at the same time the vine tendrils are clearly wanting to grip to something, and there's not really any point me beginning to train them up something unless they're in their final pot I don't think.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

You're right, train them onto something now and you'll only disturb them later.