Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where did it go to?

Can somebody tell me what happened this year? March and April up here in Cheshire were very cold due to constant Easterly winds. Little if anything grew in the garden and if it did it was so slow to develop leaves and  flower buds on all herbacious plants from Penstemun, Phlox, Hostas to roses and other shrubs, were 3-4 weeks behind the usual. We then had in July and August temperatures similar to those we see in the West Indes in winter 88-90 degrees - for those who do not understand 28-30C!

Then all of a sudden it is September 24th and it has all gone. The temperature today was an exceptional 70 degrees but yesterday (Monday) was thick cloud and a chilly East air stream. The Met Office (in their wisdom got both yesterday and today completely wrong) although nothing unusual in that. The 2 months of summer we had, seemed to pass so quickly it is as though we missed it.

How has you summer been?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

still waiting bigolob. I don't like too much heat  and if I haven't been too hot a few times we haven't had summer.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • It has been a lovely summer but not all plants did well and keeping up with it all even thou I am now retired seems to need more time.image

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Wet.

I don't seem to have needed to use my watering can much at all from about 2 weeks after sowing my seeds. Granted at times it has been hot and wet, and there have been sunny spells for working on my car and van, but not for a while. At least it has warmed up a few degrees here, I thought I was going to have to put the heating on early a week or so ago! image

• bigolobbigolob Posts: 127

Boater and Verdun where do you live? Here in Cheshire the temperature throughout July and August was around 86 degrees F. - not had that for years and I must admit that after 4-5 weeks of it, most of us had had enough!

My collection of Penstemon  have and still are fantastic, I have roses in flower which I have never before seen in late September - mind you the idiots who forcast the new religion of `global warming` some years ago so that we could all be taxed for something nobody else had thought of at the time also forcast that we would be growing Cacti in the UK. Latest forcast is that it is NOT going to get warmer, it going to get COLDER!! So much for Experts.

• XX Posts: 707

I agree with you Verdun, i'm a climate change sceptic as well - i believe that its a natural cycle that the planet goes through, always has, always will.

• bigolobbigolob Posts: 127

One last thought - in 1660 Samuel Peeps wrote that in the February of that year, he was able to walk around London "Without a top coat". 200 years later in Dickens time, the Thames froze deep enough so that people could skate on it. I agree with you all, Global Warming, Rubbish!!

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Summer is still here in South Wales image

Garden still looks incredible