London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 14°C
7 messages
02/06/2013 at 10:29

Hi all.

After watching an episode of gardeners world last year a variety of tomato named Cristal was recommended for its sweetness and flavour so I decided to give them a try.

I grew them from seed, planted them on and two weeks ago put out into the greenhouse. they are very sturdy with a very thick and course foliage unlike the more popular varieties. I would be grateful if anyone who has experience of this variety  could let me know what results they had regarding cropping and quality.

Thanks in advance. Peter 

02/06/2013 at 11:07

..I grew Crystal last season in my greenhouse... it grew well with plenty of fruit, some of them split a little but not a problem... I didn't find the flavour anything special though... I hope it does well for you...

02/06/2013 at 12:07

I've grown it too, but was a little disappointed. Cropped OK, but the skins were a little tough and the flavour not a good as I'd read it was. Sorry, hope you like yours though.

02/06/2013 at 12:09

I always grow a couple of these.  Like Salino, I don't find the taste particularly outstanding (but it is good.)  I do find they are a very reliable cropper of slightly larger than medium sized fruit which are particularly attractive when sliced in salads as the flesh is very red inside compared to many tomatoes which have red skins but pink flesh.

03/06/2013 at 18:58

Flavour is such a subjective thing. I have grown Shirley, Moneymaker, Ailsa Craig, etc. over the years (many think they have very good flavour) but I have always been disappointed.

I found the variety Goumet (Unwins) and have grown them from seed in late January in the Conservatory for germination and heated GH after pricking-out into 3 inch pots in early to mid February for the past 5 years. Most of the fruit are superb flavour (mid size, as Moneymaker, etc.) but occasionally the odd Tomato is not that good. I do not think we will ever grow a variety which is 100% flavoursome and therefore have to accept that a Tomato with good flavour most of the time will be satisfactory.

My opinion of the "Cherry type Toms is `very good acidic flavour" but try to make a sandwich out of them!!

03/06/2013 at 19:42

Hi all

thanks for all the advice and tips. I agree taste is quit subjective so my quest continues. I will post the results of crop and taste when the season ends.Probably the best policy next year will be to grow two or three each of the most regarded varieties.

Scorcher here today must get watering !!

thanks again all. Peter

03/06/2013 at 19:54

I think you're right bigolob. I don't particularly like my tomatoes too sweet even though I have a sweet tooth so I like them in sandwiches!

Variations in climate around the  country must make a huge difference too.

Whatever we grow it comes down to personal taste and growing your own stuff is so satisfying.

email image
7 messages