London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
22/04/2013 at 12:50

Hi all

Just advice really, ive planted my 1st early's out under a cloche about 2 weeks ago and was just wondering if anyone has seen any signs off life yet from shoots or am i being impatient.

22/04/2013 at 13:59

I havent event planted mines yet - weather has been awful.

I think the season is about 4-5 weeks behind... (so I've been told, several times!)

22/04/2013 at 14:50
Nicholas Hollingshead wrote (see)

Hi all

Just advice really, ive planted my 1st early's out under a cloche about 2 weeks ago and was just wondering if anyone has seen any signs off life yet from shoots or am i being impatient.

You are being impatient-it will happen

22/04/2013 at 15:01

thank you

thought i was to be honest

23/04/2013 at 11:47

Then a few weeks later you will think ' where did all that lot come from' , happens every year.

23/04/2013 at 21:05

That's me just planted all my potatoes today

24/04/2013 at 05:42

planted mine on monday still got mains to put in .

25/04/2013 at 13:48

Mine went in last night

25/04/2013 at 13:53

I planted mine on the 4th of April and the first ones peeped through the soil on the 22nd, yours should be through any day now.

26/04/2013 at 13:14

My first Pentland Javelins have just poked their first leaves through the soil after less than two weeks.

29/04/2013 at 14:21

Help! I planted mine very early (mid Feb)...daft I know but succumbed to peer pressure and it was before I realised what a weird Spring we were to have. Nothing has appeared and I'm wondering whether to have a little dig to see what's happening down there. If nothing, then I could still replant. 

Is there a chance they are just sitting dormant or will they have rotted away with all the snow and frosts? I too suffer from veggie impatience I'm afraid!

Ali

29/04/2013 at 15:22
Ali Newbie Gardener wrote (see)

Help! I planted mine very early (mid Feb)...daft I know but succumbed to peer pressure and it was before I realised what a weird Spring we were to have. Nothing has appeared and I'm wondering whether to have a little dig to see what's happening down there. If nothing, then I could still replant. 

Is there a chance they are just sitting dormant or will they have rotted away with all the snow and frosts? I too suffer from veggie impatience I'm afraid!

Ali

Probably rotted-whatever possessed you?

It was never going to work if they had grown -the tops would have been frosted

Dig down- if no sign -or a rotten tuber-replant-if you can get new tubers

29/04/2013 at 16:36

Thanks for the advice. Have had a dig and managed to find one. It's definitely not rotted and has very thin tendril roots coming from the original sprouts. I need to have another go later and see if I can find any more.

my Dad convinced me to put them in. Now I have to work out how to replant without him knowing...don't want to hurt his feelings!! What a palaver  looks like ill be buying more seed potatoes this week.

29/04/2013 at 17:12

You will have the same Dad hanging over you next year so sometime you will have to tell him.  February is the right time to set them to chit, not to plant.

The traditional time to plant is Easter, though even that was early this year.

29/04/2013 at 18:26

Oh dear will have to bite the bullet and tell him! A least I'll get some help then though. I have since learnt and put my foot down over the runner beans. I'm going to replant them. The one I dug up had some growth but nowhere near enough. 

You live and learn 

29/04/2013 at 18:50

Far, far too early to think about runner beans unless you are somewhere very warm that doesn't get late frosts.  Start them indoors/greenhouse if you can.  The soil is cold yet.

29/04/2013 at 19:42

I put mine in this w/e. 

Anyas chitted from supermaket ones, same as I did last year. As I grow them in containers I don't have to worry so much about sterilised seed potato, as there's no build up of pest or disease. Others would say to never do this...

There's no guaranteed okay time, we could still get a frost down south here. It's all about learning from experience & from others, who hopefully give helpful advice. 

Even if you do need new tubers, my local garden centre had them all at half price & they weren't in that bad a condition, so not all lost. no doubt

29/04/2013 at 20:54

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22856.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

I apologise for the hugeness of this photo. Just dug this up. The seed potato itself is very firm. Leave in or replant? I cannot find anything online about what to do when you have planted too early but I don't want to miss the window to buy new seed potatoes either!

29/04/2013 at 21:56

Hi, Can someone give me some advice, please?  I sent off for Charlotte potatoes and a grow bag, but have only just got them out of the box.  They've already started sprouting, and are also very wrinkled and soft.

Is it worth trying to grow them, or will it be a waste of compost?

Thanks!

30/04/2013 at 00:50

Grow on anything that has shoots.  They'll do fine.  Ali, if the tuber is growing well, stick it in, but when the shoots surface cover them with soil to protect from frost.

1 to 20 of 23 messages