London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
8 messages
07/02/2013 at 20:38
Hi all I just received 2 bare root cox apple trees that are a few years old in the post today and I was wondering whether I can temporarily plant these In very large pots for a couple of months until my currently muddy-bog of a garden is finished and we have decided where to plant the trees? We already have 2 very large wooden planters, would they be ok? Any help would be brilliant, let me know if you need more info.
07/02/2013 at 21:00
I should add that I do have a greenhouse if they can be kept in there until they can be planted in the garden?
07/02/2013 at 21:04

Pots sounds like a good idea if you're so wet at present. If it gets VERY cold you might put them in the greenhouse but not for a bit of frost. I tend to put things like that inside when it's very windy, stops them rocking about or falling over

07/02/2013 at 21:06

A similar question came up last week -you will need a pollinator nearby

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/-advice-on-where-to-plant-my-apple-tree-and-suitable-hedging/72854.html

I would not leave them in the greenhouse

07/02/2013 at 21:17
Hi thanks for the replies, I will pot them up first thing tomorrow and only put them in greenhouse if snow and frost returns and bring them back out afterwards, I've got some really good compost. As for the pollination I have actually received 1 cox orange pippin and 1 laxtons superb tree and it seems these will pollinate each other, which is great!

Any other tips would be very much appreciated.
12/02/2013 at 08:37

Hi All

I got my apple trees potted in some lovely soil and they seem to be doing great.  My worry now is the forecast for the next few weeks in Teesside looks to have lots of freezing temperatures overnight, would people recommend that I put them in the greenhouse for a few weeks until this period has passed?  Or should I ideally be moving them in and out of the greenhouse as and when it is freezing?

Many thanks peeps.

12/02/2013 at 09:12

No-get them outside they do not need greenhouse protection -they are hardy plants-you not want to encourage any early leaf growth make keeping them cosy.

They will be fine

12/02/2013 at 09:54
sotongeoff wrote (see)

No-get them outside they do not need greenhouse protection -they are hardy plants-you not want to encourage any early leaf growth make keeping them cosy.

They will be fine

Brilliant thanks a lot.

email image
8 messages