Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Advice on growing Raspberries

Hi all, Just hoping some of you knowledgeable, experienced gardeners can offer me some advice on growing raspberries. I have been given 10 plants which I have planted and a line, spaced about 15" apart.  I know I need to provide some support, and to add some manure, but that is about all I know.  What kind of support do I need to use.  The variety is 'Glen Clova'.  Would appreciate your advice.

• chicachica Posts: 252

hi lorraine are they summer ones or autumn ones i have both if summer ones then you have done fine just put a bamboo cane next to them and tie it to them,not to tight so they have some support if autumn ones you need to cut them down to ground level and they dont need no support they are both very easy to grow,all i do is add some bonemeal to the soil around them.

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

Thanks chica.  I believe my raspberries are a summer fruiting variety.  I haven't cut them down at all after planting and they're about 15" - 18" high and lots of new shoots appearing.  I'll just put some bamboo canes in and leave them to do their thing.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    Glen Clova fruit on 1 year old canes grown during the previous season, there's some information on the link below (please copy and paste). image

http://www.plantadvice.co.uk/plants/fruit-and-vegetables/raspberry-glen-clova/1740

Thanks Leggi image

• Hi guys I'm after some Raspberry advice too - I've bought some dormant canes - early mid and late fruiters - They are planted in containers together - do you think I should replant them in seperate containers (it's about 30cm wide)?also when should expect to see some growth from the canes?thanks in advance!

Hi Michelle,  If you haven't done so already you may get a better response if you post a new thread.  Sorry I won't be any help to you as I'm a novice too. Good luck  image