London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
8 messages
07/07/2012 at 00:26

Hi There. I've been using this site for a few months now for various answers to questions as I am a new gardener, but can't seem to find the answer to my current problem.

I am about to repot 2 of my 7 week old Tomato plants into bigger flower buckets, but am in two minds about the compost to use. They have never been outdoors, and are currently in Durstons MultiPurpose Compost, which I use for everything, but as they are now big and quite strong, I am thinking about the fertilizing stage, although they still have no flowers as I sowed the seeds late.

Would I be best carrying on using the MP Compost, and buy seperate fertilizer, or can I use the Durstons Growbag I have, which has fertilizer already included in the mix? And if I used the growbag content in my buckets, would I still need to fertilize them further on down the road anyway?

I'm sorry if this seems a basic question, but I'm a first time grower.

Thanks in advance.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/9663.jpg?width=290&height=350&mode=max

07/07/2012 at 05:48

I would suggest using grobag and then feeding your tomatoes regularly with tomato food - e.g Tomorite - when the first flowers have set and you can see baby tomatoes

Pam x

07/07/2012 at 08:01

I'd plant into normal compost and fertilise separately. Bearing in mind that (a) toms don't like overly rich soil; and (b) don't need a lot of fertiliser. It's a common tendency to pamper tomatoes with lots of water and fertiliser. In fact, they will perform better - produce more fruit - if made to struggle a bit. "Tough love" is the go. Fertilise when the first fruit appears, then - if the roots are confined, as in pots, etc - no more than once a month afterwards. Mine, in the ground, are fed a couple of weeks after planting out, again when the first fruit sets, then only once more later in the season.

07/07/2012 at 08:50

I do the same as Lilylouise. However, I think you will struggle to get much fruit to ripen before the cold sets in.  

07/07/2012 at 09:14

But if they don't all ripen, they'll make marvellous chutney, and we like them sliced and fried with bacon.

Also, put green tomatoes in a brown paper bag with a ripe banana and they'll ripen 

07/07/2012 at 10:20

Thankyou all! I do realize it's a bit late for fruit, but it was actually something my 3 year old started. She wanted to grow seeds, and I thought this would be easy for her, and quick. Although I might add it has since turned into a bigger experiment than I thought, with over 15 different fruit and veg going on!

I'm not that fussed about it fruiting, but will try the bag method if and when anything happens. xx

07/07/2012 at 10:44

Normal compost should be fine, and tomorite as already suggested, and if you can plant marigolds with them, apparently they keep the bugs away,(didnt work for me) however gardening is all trial and error, oh and dont use manure lol!

ogster

07/07/2012 at 10:53

LOL! Thankyou Ogster! I have no intentions whatsoever of using manure. I'm enjoying learning how to grow things, but not that much! ha ha ha!

I'm struggling enough to get my soggy Elan strawberry plant to fruit, poor little thing.x

Thanks for the advice. x

email image
8 messages