Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

advise needed

Could you please advise on the 2 questions below.

1. if ive only just started seeding vegtables in my small growhouse im i to late?

2. should i keep my growhouse zipped shut so it keeps this warm or do i permantly keep the zipped front open know?

advise please

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

1. It all depends on which varieties. Most are sown around this time of year

2. Get a cheap thermometer to monitor the temperature inside. I'd say anything above 30c would be a bit too much for small seedlings. 

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    1. As above, loads of seeds to start around now. With the cold weather we've had many gardeners are starting them now (myself included).

2. Depends on the seedlings really, but I'd have it open during the day and zipped up on cold nights to protect them. As the nights get warmer you won't need to zip it at night, but wait till the chance of frost has passed.
  • Thank you very much both of you. Sorry to appear a bit inexperienced, but it's my first year of using my grow house.

I think I'll start unzipping during the day know due to quite a bit of condensation inside.
  • LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    No need to apologise. It's a friendly place, ask away. image
  • I've started some onions off from seed in seed trays, the shoots are now 3 inches in height, do I need to move them to bigger pots or let them be in the seed trays?
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Nicholas, you only learn by asking and we all started at the bottom. Make sure your grow-house is in a sheltered spot preferably facing west and out of prevailing winds, wind chill is the killer as well as too much heat.
    Leave it closed on cold or cool days and open if warm for air to circulate, if you are at work all day then open it up in the morning and close at night.
    We are all as Monty Don said tonight at least twenty days behind and we are all sowing seed late, it will come later and be there when it would normally have gone over so we should still be eating tomato's in October, that is quite regular here in the North East of England.
    Leave your onions until the soil warms a bit then put them in the ground, the less disturbance they get the better.

Frank.

• Thanks frank, thanks for the help, it's my first time growing onions