London (change)
Today 11°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
21 to 40 of 50 messages
03/01/2014 at 23:16

Could I use frozen fruits for these recipes, or would they have too much water? Have tons of raspberries and redcurrants in freezer. Was going to try making rasp and redcurrant sparkling wine with them, but vodka or brandy sounds good!

04/01/2014 at 00:40

Hi gardenjeannie. You can def use frozen fruit for the boozy drinks  For raspberry vodka you need to dd sugar - would recommend a bit of googling action

Don't forget to tell us how it goes  

04/01/2014 at 10:37

Hi Jeannie, you most certainly can use frozen fruit, I did with the Raspberry vodka I bottled a couple of days ago as was the Merry Berry Brandy which was partly purchased fruits...easy recipe pound fruit pound sugar bottle of Aldi Brandy...as I posted earlier the residual fruit makes a brill base for a boozy adult trifle..a real seasonal treat. The damsons from the damson gin had softened right down. I greedily just snacked on then over a few days but next year I'll just pop the stones out, yes the are that soft, and then dip them in melted dark chocolate Yummie

Jean

04/01/2014 at 18:35

Not usually a fan of sweet liqueurs but sloe or damson gin has a character all its own. I am though pondering Cape Gooseberries steeped in vodka to develop some very subtle fruit flavours with a pale yellow hue.

06/01/2014 at 01:22

Bilje, thanks for that. Not a fan of chocolates, but do remember cherry brandy liquer chocs from a few yrs ago. If my young cherry tree produces more than the 5 it did this yr (i told the kids 4!!), your damson idea will be used for them in hampers nxt xmas, along with Ginagibbs idea of home-made produce hampers.

Thanks, 4th panda, away I go googling.

Let you all know how it goes. I suggest re-convening here sometime early Dec next yr, with efforts in hand to compare! Is it poss to make arrangements to all be on together? Maybe all skype our efforts or something? Surely some computer whizz could figure out a way we could meet 'virtually'????

06/01/2014 at 08:23

Chilli vodka... Makes ace bloody Mary's!!!!! 

15/06/2014 at 16:29

Just thought I'd remind us of all the possibilities for fruit this summer .............. 

15/06/2014 at 18:11

That is a record ,it must be THEEE earliest Christmas reminder iv ever seen ,Dove you win a cracker  turned out to be quite a nice evening erein Munsly,

15/06/2014 at 19:35

Well Alan, if we're going to make fruit vodkas for Christmas, it's time to get started - I'm a great one for planning ahead!

I'm glad it's nice over your way -still a bit grey here   How are you getting on?  Allowed down t'pub yet?

09/08/2014 at 19:38

Bumping up 

09/08/2014 at 20:41

A recipe that works even for orange-flavoured anything haters like me!  (Remember the ad a few years ago?  There was a sexy Frenchman who seduced the woman at the dinner table with his eyes and a glass of orange liqueur.  This recipe is Frenchman-free, but infinitely cheaper!)

Cut the peel of 10 medium oranges into eight sections and place on a baking sheet.  Heat in the oven at the lowest setting for several  hours until hard and brittle.

Place the peel in a wide-necked glass jar and pour in about 75cl gin to cover.  If necessary, remove some of the peel or add more gin to ensure that the gin covers the peel.  Seal the jar and leave in a dark place for six weeks, shaking the jar several times a week.

Put the sugar and 1/2pt water in a pan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes.  Remove from the heat and leave until cold.

Strain the peel and gin through a nylon sieve, pressing the peel lightly with the back of a wooden spoon.  Add the syrup to the orange gin, then strain through muslin.

Pour into small bottles and seal.  Store in a cool place for two months before serving as a liqueur.

Enjoy!

09/08/2014 at 21:54

...um...how much sugar?

09/08/2014 at 22:49

Sorry - should have said 8oz sugar!

09/08/2014 at 22:50

Hic!

09/08/2014 at 23:15

10/08/2014 at 12:22

Not quite garden grown (not by me anyway!) I'm just making limoncello  

I'm planning some allotment wine once I've got the equipment

11/08/2014 at 19:39

I make damson vodka every year - it has such a wonderful plummy taste! Similar recipe to sloe gin if you want to google it, or I will post if anyone's interested?

11/08/2014 at 21:58

Blackcurrant vodka is a good one, a home-made cassis liqueur. You can drink it neat or use it to make kir - in fact this can be a way of making your less palatable home-made white wines drinkable!

11/08/2014 at 22:14

DAMSON LICQUER recipe posted on Saturday on TALKBACK forum Under Glut of Fruit heading.

Dove. Oh yes yes yes Damson Liqeuer drizzled over vanilla or chocolate ice cream mmmmm !

Damson Jammer. You reminded me I have a little Damson Vodka left in the cubbyhole from last year. I'm getting it out tomorrow and the ice cream.  I'm gonna finish it off. The lot. Well Iv got to haven't I to make way for this years supply. 

11/08/2014 at 22:20

Which reminds me that I have the damsons (that had been steeped in the gin last year) in the freezer.  I read somewhere that they were good with icecream.  Full of good intentions, I meant to try it, but forgot!  Anyone else done that?  Or shall I defrost them, and be a guinea pig (all in the sense of pure altruism, of course )

21 to 40 of 50 messages