London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
28/11/2013 at 09:38

Several of us make Sloe Gin but there's lots of other celebratory uses for fruit at Christmas.  

I've made some Raspberry Vodka which is a lovely snifter, and even better poured over ice cream 

I've also made some cherries in brandy in the past - delicious.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for alcofrolic fruits for next Christmas, if not for this?

KEF
28/11/2013 at 09:50

Apricots in brandy were a favorite with my parents, we had to watch Dad didn't have too much

I'm not a big fan of alcohol with fruit, other than in trifle.

28/11/2013 at 11:36

Collect blackberries in the autumn and put them into some whisky. Leave for a month or two, drink the whisky and use the blackberries in desserts.

KEF
28/11/2013 at 13:56

I have had damson gin, that was tasty.

28/11/2013 at 16:31

KEF, I'm not crazy about gin; could I put damsons in another spirit?

28/11/2013 at 18:01

I have a good Merry Berry Brandy recipe, among others! A pound of mixed summer fruits from the freezer, a pound of sugar and an ordinary sized bottle of (Aldi ) brandy. I have been known to use Aldi frozen fruits. Mix together in either a Tupperware type container, a Kilner jar or as I do a well cleaned 4 pint milk container. Shake regularly ie daily at first until sugar dissolves, keep somewhere dark and shake regularly. Just before Christmas strain into a jug then bottle, use fruit in the base of the Boxing Day trifle!!. Enjoy the brandy at your leisure. I'm just finishing last years it's yummy! I usually start mine mid October. I have set away Damson Vodka but it isn't ready yet so can't comment on taste

KEF
28/11/2013 at 18:13

Artjak I don't drink / like  gin. I was given this by an old chap who knew that.

He wouldn't tell me what it was until later. It was lovely as a liqueur. I imagine vodka would be okay to use. In all honesty it had no taste or smell of gin. Hic, hic

28/11/2013 at 21:21

Bilje that sounds delicious - I might even like the trifle 

03/12/2013 at 10:39

Redcurrant vodka. Redcurrants, vodka, sugar, large screw-top jar (catering sizes of pickle jars work well). Put together in September, shake a few times until the sugar is dissolved. Decant just before Christmas.

03/12/2013 at 10:43

Sounds luscious - we must make a note in our diaries to bump this thread up next soft fruit season 

03/12/2013 at 10:47

I've just remembered a Polish colleague telling me about dissolving those Fruit Sour Sweets in vodka - apparently it makes a good Vodka martini, although I've never tried it.  Just thought I'd mention it as I remember her saying it only takes a few days to dissolve the sweets 

03/12/2013 at 11:10

I've also made raspberry vodka, which is lovely after just a few months. I made blackberry vodka three years ago which wasn't very drinkable the first year but it's really good now.

My son uses gin for his base for drinks but I much prefer vodka. He told me of a recipe he'd read about where you put a whole lemon in a kilner jar and fill it with gin and sugar then put it into the boot of the car so it's continuously being shook up then forget about it for a couple of years. Just to remember to remove it if you sell the car in the meantime

03/12/2013 at 11:16

Have you tried dribbling some raspberry vodka over vanilla ice cream?  

03/12/2013 at 18:02

Lemon liqueur;

4 thick skinned unwaxed lemons, 3 cups vodka (675ml), 1 cup granulated sugar (200/225gr)

Soak lemons 1/2 hour in cold water, remove and dry. Use veg peeler to skin lemons with NO pith. Put peels in Kilner jar, add 2/3rds of vodka. Close lid and stand in dark place 72 hours.

Combine 2 cups (450ml) cold water with sugar in saucepan over medium heat till boiling; remove from heat, allow to cool 2 hours. Add this mixture to jar and mix well. Filter through several layers of paper towel into clean jar, replace lemon peels, add last cup of vodka.

Close lid; stand in dark place 36 hours. Filter again, discard lemon peels, let stand for 1 week before using.

This is from The Taste of Italy by Giuliano Bugialli, and it really works.

03/12/2013 at 18:10

Artjak that looks fantastic - and will be ready by Christmas!!! 

03/12/2013 at 18:20

Oh yes But be warned, like all liqueurs it is v. sweet. I use Lidl vodka.

03/12/2013 at 18:21

...and half the fun is making your own labels...made from lemons hand picked by nuns in the vast lemon groves of the Norfolk Fens...

03/12/2013 at 18:22

Another one perfect for dribbling over ice cream then 

03/12/2013 at 18:26

Yes, Dove, but what flavour ice cream would you choose?

03/12/2013 at 18:34

Dove, you can dissolve all sorts of sweets in vodka to make smashing snifters  My local pub used to have black jacks, sherbet lemons, fruit salads, all of which were VERY lovely, and went down a treat!

I also had an email recently which had a recipe for blackberry gin - unfortunately I have lost the email. It did sound rather lush though 

1 to 20 of 26 messages