Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Another tomato question

I have saved a batch of seeds from Unwin's tomato Superb but have just discovered from the old pack that they are F1 Hybrid. Does anybody know what will happen if I sow these ?

Many thanks.

• If the seeds are actually viable (and they may not be) you'll likely get plants which resemble one or other of the parents, Ivyhouse.  It's unlikely any will come true and be the same as the ones you grew last year.  I wouldn't rely on them as your only crop in case the results are disappointing but it's a fun thing to try.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Yes, the first generation usually produces something close to the parent. Sometimes they're virtually indistinguishable. It's the second generation when the gene pool starts to unravel and things get interesting. The more varieties used in the original hybridisation, the more interesting the results.

Seed companies rarely divulge the varieties used in hybridisation. I know a couple of growers who delight in trying to dehybridise varieties, attempting to ID the original parents. Too much time - and growing space - on their hands.

• IvyhouseIvyhouse Posts: 111

Thanks both. I'll give them a try and maybe raise a couple out of interest but I'll order some new to be safe. It's quite an expensive variety, £3.99 for 6 seeds, so might just go for Gardener's Delight which I know work.

That price is outrageous.

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

My seed packets say sow in feb on a warm windowsill or greenhouse then prick out.

Fine so far, but I have no greenhouse and the windowsills are not big enough for these 'prickings out'! My question is, IF I sow in Feb and prick out, can I pop the seedlings under a cloche or in a cucumber frame to come on? OR can I get a better stronger seedling yet harvesting early if I sow later under aforementioned cloches or cucumber frame??

biofreak, after germination, I put mine under a couple of old desk lamps. Plenty of warmth and light. The key is to have the light sources no more than an inch and a half above the seedlings. Fear not, the seedlings won't burn. Raise the lights - or lower the seedlings - to keep the same distance as the seedlings grow.

• Not sure if they still sell them but F2 was a cheap way to buy seed - just one generation removed from the original F1 and they grew almost the same. The seed companies don't want you to know that just to encourage you to buy new seeds every year.