London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 40 messages
17/03/2013 at 15:57

In Yorkshire, a quite sheltered spot but am feeling very wary about starting anything off yet. Lost a lot of early plantings last year. Am waiting to get potatoes and broad beans in to begin with. Where is everyone else at with things ?

(southerners and the rest allowed to reply too of course, but particularly interested in locals)

17/03/2013 at 16:10
Hello blueberry I'm further north by the Scottish border , not a sheltered area either. I have started seeds but they are in the house on windowsills , I have my seed potatoes to chit but won't be going out until end April probably . Takes a while to get started here outside /unheated greenhouse so I always use the house first.
17/03/2013 at 17:08

In Sheffield. Just been walking round the garden thinking how cold it is. Did plant out some autumn sown annuals a week ago. Plenty of seeds growing on window sills but with an unheated greenhouse nothing can move out yet and I am running out of windows. More snow this week!

17/03/2013 at 19:10

I'm new to veg growing in Glasgow, but have spuds chitting (1sts and main crop) and herbs and salad from seed, garlic in a bed.......have shallots and red onions waiting to go and was thinking of starting leek seeds on the windowsill this week......then I want to do carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, chillies and corn when its a bit hotter.....almost all in containers, see what happens....

17/03/2013 at 19:49

In Lancashire. Have cauliflower and cabbage seedlings coming up in greenhouse and garlic in modules. have just planted tomato and leek seeds.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20058.jpg?width=453&height=350&mode=max

17/03/2013 at 20:04
Wait a while blueberry, I'm up on the hills and reckon we are a couple of weeks behind. My snowdrops have only just come out.
17/03/2013 at 20:07

manchester . sowing on window sills and in the summer house . to many upsets in the past 

17/03/2013 at 20:22

Hey up blueberry77 I was at me allotment this morning in what must have been the coldest place in Yorkshire.Near Leeds.Have got plenty int greenhouse under starters orders but I think thers goin to have to be a lot of pitch and course inspections before their off.

17/03/2013 at 20:28

I'm from Lancashire, near the coast and Cumbria boarder. Do travel to Bacup and Barnoldswick, so know how sever the weather can be in that direction.   

I have three veg beds in the garden and grow other stuff in pots.

Me thinks you are right in being wary. I grow spuds in bags and if the weather doesn't pick up my spuds won't be planted out until mid April. I've not chitted them since January...some were bought at spud fairs... to bring them in daily to avoid a frost. I've 1st, 2nd and early main.

I don't grow broad beans, don' like them they seem to go stringy, yuk  and I've never been able to over winter them. French/runner beans though seem to like the wet Northern climate and pea's did well last year along with other stuff.

17/03/2013 at 20:46

Hey up Zoomer44 nice hear from topposition ont cricket field.How yer diddlin.Well to be serious old lad you dead on the mark. I grow Arran Pilot 1st earlies I have some in the green house in some useful containers a bit bigger than the average sized bucket I put two seeds in each container and keep them in the greenhouse till the weather man in the sky sends us some decent stuff. The rest will stay tillit really warms up a bit 

17/03/2013 at 21:01

Not bothering till April at least.  Plant later & seedlings will catch up, not good having to buy more seed because you've lost everything to a late frost - and we regularly get frosts here in May (Here being just south of Sheffield)

17/03/2013 at 21:25
Hi here in doncaster it's a big gamble on what to do. Still very cold wet and more frosts and snow to come, so the weather reports say. I might put some potatoes in next weekend as a test but being prepared to loose them.
17/03/2013 at 21:46

blueberry 77/ Brian...always nice to converse with posters in Yorkshire.  

17/03/2013 at 22:11

Hey up blueberry77 it is good to talk to folks about plots and plotting whats best to get good fruit and veg for all the effort that goes into it.Lets hope we have a good late spring and an even better summer. Plenty of sunshine and balmy long evenings.Have a Goodun Brian Cooper.

17/03/2013 at 22:50

South west Scotland too cold for sowing outside just yet but have just sown the first lot of peas in paper tubes in a cold frame and tomatoes in windowsill propagater today.

My first potatoes are chitting nicely and I hope to plant them in a couple of weeks - last year they recovered after being nipped by a late frost so this year I'll cover them in newspaper or fleece.

18/03/2013 at 09:39

I'm in Northern Italy. Have a lovely day of sunshine, wander into the garden, plant some seeds.  The next morning wake up to either a very hard frost or a foot of snow.  Every year I think - I'll wait a little longer before I plant, but then the sun comes out and I can't wait.  Really think I have lost all sense of reality - spend the winter collecting the snow into a 2000 litre waterstorage, because here in the summer it is red hot and the garden is desperate for water.  Oh for a North Yorkshire summer !!!

18/03/2013 at 11:13

Well, woke up to snow this morning so looks like am going to have to be patient for a while longer. Might try some potatoes in containers at the end of the month.

Nice to hear from everybody, but it could be a challenging year again for us gardeners.

18/03/2013 at 11:45

Hi Blueberry

Just got back from the garden (Durham area very chilly) Thought we were going to have snow last night but rained instead and the ground is saturated, I was hoping to get my early broad beans in today that I started off in pots last November as the roots are well on & that piece of ground has been covered in plastic and then will cloche them after. I know they are hardy but I think I will wait along with onion sets.

This time last year early spuds and onions were already in the ground as the weather was a lot warmer but this year I think will be at least a month late. had to bring the seed pototes in from the garage and put them on top of the wardrobe as they just didnt get going.

Greenhouse is getting fuller with early seeds germinating Cabbage, caulis, toms,chillies and finding room after pricking out, Maybe a bit to keen to get things started?

Bring on the warmth and long summer evenings

18/03/2013 at 14:36

Hey up Cornish Boy up North I use some Bookshelves I got from a car boot sale cost me £4 been a godsend the shelves are 12inches deep 4feet wide and theres 8 of em. I take them down when all the plants are up and running the I stain em and store em int shed. Cheers Brian.

18/03/2013 at 14:45

Oop 'ere in west Manchester, planted in windowsill propagators yesterday - plum toms, cherry toms, bush toms, chillies, sweet peppers, aubergines, basil, coriander. I think that's all in my March section of my seed box.    

1 to 20 of 40 messages