Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Apple and plum trees for small garden

Hi, i would love to grow some fruit trees but i have a very small space available, as most of garden taken up by dogs and kids image. I really would like a eating apple not cooking tree and a plum tree can anyone recomend any. Thaml you.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Sunnysarah, great idea and so easy,weve just planted eaters cookers gauges,and much more, the secret is to tell the supplier what room you have and what you want,find an apple you like and ask the supplier what he has, that one or closest to that taste, he will then make the choice according to the root stock its on, this rootstock decides the size of the tree its all very simple ,let them advise you,   what area do you live in.image

• I`m in oxfordshire

• hi iv had a mini plum tree for 2years now in a large tub but I feel that I need to change the soil in it any suggestions and also what kind of spray the tree with

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Sorry Sarah cant help with Oxfordshire ,so get a local good nursery and talk to someone there perhaps the owner is best,good luck.image

• Chris 7Chris 7 Posts: 102

Why not try an espalier .. these are apple trees trained in a 'fan' shape and are ideal for growing against a fence or wall.

I have 3, Coxs,James Grieve and Worcester Pearmain.

The James Grieve has a divine flavour and is superior to any shop bought apple.  the drawback is that the apples don't keep ad really need to be eaten straight away.

Chris

• Been doing a bit of research and looks like i need rootstock m27 for a good small compact tree. 

• lpasso123lpasso123 Posts: 10

That's correct plant in tub or garden, cox apple good taste and keeps well, Victoria plum very popular and very sweet. Both give good crop and easy to grow.  AL

• thank you allan4711 iv had a look but it did not tell me what kind of spray to use to protect against bugs

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

You could have any apple or plum tree you like but make sure it's on a dwarf root stock. If you want them in pots the go for Aplle mm106 or m9 rootstock and plum should be okay on St Julian A. In the garden you could go for Apple M27 or Pixie. Blackmoor trees and Adams Apple Trees have lots of choices but hurry or you'll miss out on bare root stock cheap prices.

Don't buy a Cox, yes, it's a good apple but not good for home growers. There's so many to choose from it all comes down to personal tase but Kids Orange Red is a very good cropper. The ideal tree will depend on what you want and where it will be grown and how you want to manage the tree. You'll need to do your homework. Look at the websites above and Orange Pippin Trees for lots of information.