London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
5 messages
29/09/2013 at 17:11

We planted some fruit trees in autumn 2009 and this is the first year that we have had more than just one or two apples. We have two eaters (Idared and Rubinette) and a cooker (Norfolk Beefing) Apart from a few apples that have probably been 'picked' by rabbits (we had to prop a couple of low branches up but a a few are on the ground chewed), today is the first day that I have picked up a couple of windfalls. One (a Rubinette) I have just eaten - I know they have a lovely flavour (from last year) but this one is a bit sharp. I intend leaving the fruit on the trees as long as is possible - but will they still improve in sweetness and if we have to pick them because of frost, will they still improve during storage ??  Thanks

29/09/2013 at 18:10

They get sweeter during storage. Keep an eye on the ones on the trees, after a bit the birds, wasps and hornets may discover them.

29/09/2013 at 19:18

Thank you - we'll try to get them all picked soon !

29/09/2013 at 19:54

Can anyone advise on best storage system for apples. It's Bramleys I want to store as well as possible.

29/09/2013 at 20:15

Do not attempt to store windfall apples because they will have been bruised and they will go rotten and infect all the others.

Use them up, process in some way or freeze.

If you want to store apples they must be unblemished and picked from the tree.

email image
5 messages