London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
9 messages
09/12/2011 at 10:17

Hello there!

I was really impressed to find that as soon as I wanted to post a question to Gardener's World a new forum has been set up!

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on growing an apple tree from seed? The method I intend on taking at the moment is to ensure that the seeds are dry and pop them on a tray in the fridge for a month with damp paper over them.

The most efficient method would be to buy a tree from a garden centre, but I'd love to try this as an experiment as much as anything

Also, I live in North Yorkshire, which brings the problem of very thick, heavy soil with poor drainage characteristics and the intensely cold winters we have here! The current apple tree must be 50 years old and is only just on it's last legs so it must be a survivable environment!

Any ideas on any of the questions I'm pondering on would be very much appreciated!

James.

09/12/2011 at 11:26

Hi James! What a fun way to grow apples! Be aware though, that the tree you grow may only produce crab apples, or tasteless, inedible apples. The variety is very unlikely to resemble variety the pip came from. But it's a great way to grow apples, and who knows, you might grow a brand new type.

But if you want to give it a go, just save the seed from an apple and sow them in a pot in spring. Keep repotting whenever the pots becaome root-bound, until you're ready to plant it in the ground. It should take around six to seven years before the tree fruits, when you'll find out if the experiment was worth it or not!

Kate

09/12/2011 at 14:59

crab apples are good for wild life though  

06/06/2012 at 10:27

my son has grown an apple tree which is now 13years old and 10ft tall but has never produced a flower. Ive been told it may produce in time. my son is 20 now so maybe in time for his children one day

06/06/2012 at 10:39

I grew an apple from a pip 25 years ago. It fruited after about 15 years, and now produces a good crop of small apples annually. I keep mine in a very large pot, and it has had no trouble surviving North Yorks winters.

06/06/2012 at 19:41

This year, I have grown about a dozen small apple trees from seed (via the fridge, as you say) which I originally planned to use as rootstock for more reliable cutting/grafting in a few years time. Trouble is, I'm not sure how big they may get as they came from a standard sized tree. I've also grown three quince trees from seed which I believe are more likely to 'come true' (Vranja) than apples would but I'm not sure if that's the case.

17/08/2013 at 09:33

Okay question from New Zealand. Hav an appltree that is atacked by amaggots big time. I have put up codfly traps and and sprayed it with Neem oil.  That didn't work. I heard somethng about tying rags around the base sorked in detergent is there any merit in that?

17/08/2013 at 11:02

Dear Greenfingersnot, (Having just typed your name it has an unfortunate ring about it)

Are you saying that you are in New Zealand at the moment ( or your apple tree is)?

We have enough trouble with trying to sort out our own dear British pests without trying to save the folks' trees half way round the world. Are there no Kiwi forums that could help you?

Best wishes (and buy a hankie!)

17/08/2013 at 14:49

You are unlikely to get a decent apple from a random seed, but having said that Bramley Seedling is just that - a seedling, so it is possible.

email image
9 messages