London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
8 messages
13/02/2014 at 16:38

Hi all I've been given an apricot bush which is about 3 years old.  It has never fruited so a neighbour has given it to me to see if I have any success with it.  I want to plant it at my allotment, but what sort of conditions does it like, and what time of year is best to plant? 

13/02/2014 at 19:00

Hi Margaret, like peaches, they need a lot of sun and some protection so best against a south-facing wall or fence.  They won't appreciate an open position.  Prepare the soil really well with lots of added compost and a handful of fish, blood and bone.  Using some "root grow" fungal spore would benefit it too.  Plant now as long as your soil isn't waterlogged or frozen.  If it is waterlogged (and who's isn't at the moment?!), planting it in a large container is a good option.

14/02/2014 at 21:07

oooh yum, you've got me thinking. if planting a youngish one, say in a 3-5l pot, how long before one could expect fruit (extreme weather conditions aside) in the south of UK?

14/02/2014 at 21:39

They are actually trees sthlndngrower but can be grown as bushes or fans etc.  A 5l pot would be way too small.  A 50cm diameter pot would be about right, which holds about 100 litres.  If you bought a 2 years old plant, I would expect fruit in about another 2 years.

15/02/2014 at 07:25

thank you

15/02/2014 at 09:25

Only a couple of things to add

Apricots still suffer from,peach leaf curl so it would be wise to consider a form of cover against the rain in early season.  If against a wall a polythene sheet is effective 

Secondly.......if you have an allotment this prob won't be an issue....but a certain amount of lime is also required for apricots.

15/02/2014 at 09:27

Only a couple of things to add

Apricots still suffer from,peach leaf curl so it would be wise to consider a form of cover against the rain in early season.  If against a wall a polythene sheet is effective 

Secondly.......if you have an allotment this prob won't be an issue....but a certain amount of lime is also required for apricots.

I would also consider growing it as a fan on the wall.  

15/02/2014 at 13:42

Thanks for the advice everyone - me thinks I need to plant it as soon as the winds have stopped being gale force.  Hopefully it will fruit in a few years time, with some love and care, but if it doesn't - well it was a freebie, and I am willing to give it a good try.  Thanks again

email image
8 messages