London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
5 messages
10/11/2013 at 17:06

My neighbour has given me a 2 foot tall sprig with red asparagus berries on it

I have checked the interweb ( as we call it in Bristol ) and it says just let them fall on the soil and nature and the birds will do the rest

I want to keep them all together in a managed area

What do I do with the red berries please ?

Thanks Friends

10/11/2013 at 20:46

I don't know asparagus but I do know the principles of  cultivars and their seeds. Most asparagus plants are cultivars. What you get from a seed is will be different from the parent. It may be better, or worse, could be anything. 

Having never tried it, I'd sow some in pots outside now to chill, and some I'd remove the berry part, dry off the seed to grow in spring

11/11/2013 at 09:33

If growing it 'for fun' then go ahead - but if you want to establish a productive asparagus bed then my best advice is to buy crowns of an all male variety.

Seeds will produce male and female plants.  Male plants are more long-lived and produce an earlier crop of much more productive plants.  Female plants produce seeds the production of which will compete with the crowns for nutrients/energy.

If your neighbour wants his/her asparagus bed to remain productive I would advise pulling out all fruit-producing fern and any seedlings. 

Hope that's helpful 

12/11/2013 at 14:20

I grew hundreds of ornamental Asparagus from sead when I was a student. They're easy as anything. Just treat them like peas. Just plunge them into a pot or a prepared sead bed about a cm or two down in spring.

15/11/2013 at 22:50
I would just give it a go , I have been very lucky in asparagus self seeding from my neighbours asparagus beds red berries , it has taken a couple years but it is looking really good now
Next year I have decided to plant a proper asparagus bed at my allotment but I will be buying crowns
email image
5 messages