London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
5 messages
10/05/2013 at 05:38

I haven't managed to plant my asparagus out yet - it is now pretty tall and spindly (I guess this is meant to happen) - I know I cut it back after it flowers / seeds.

I would like to plant it out ASAP but I am at a loss as to how I support it... winds have still been quite strong the past week. Do I wait and plant it out when the winds have died down?

Thanks,

=D

10/05/2013 at 06:22

If it had been growing outside it would have had better light and be better able to support itself, but putting a 'fence' of canes and twine around the bed is always a good idea..  

Get it planted out as soon as possible - if it needs supporting individually use more canes and twine, but put the canes in as you plant so you can see what you're doing and don't damage the crowns.

Don't cut it back until the ferns have turned yellow and started to die back.

10/05/2013 at 06:50

It's had reasonable light and tbh I doubt it would have survived the amount of wind / rain and cold we have had. Even from when I got it, it was spindly and I was unsure how best to support it.

10/05/2013 at 07:16

If the asparagus had been planted out you would've been earthing it up until it was ridged (as with potatoes) and this would have helped support the ferns - and even in a greenhouse the light is not as good as in the open air - that coupled with the warmer conditions inside will have resulted in lanky growth - but there is nothing you can do about that now - as I said, plant it out as soon as possible , supporting with canes and twine as necessary.  

There is a lot of good advice on this site http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/asparagus-1/

Good luck 

10/05/2013 at 10:29

Asparagus is pretty hardy, you normally plant it as one year crowns in the autumn, but I imagine you have grown it from seed. When I grew asparagus it used to seed itself sometimes and the babies survived the winter outside.

email image
5 messages