Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Autumn raspberries - will they need staking?

chickychicky Posts: 10,405

This is our first year of growing autumn fruiting raspberries, and they have been brilliant - still eating bowlfuls with my breakfast here in October.

i know i am meant to cut them right back when the leaves fall (do I do it in autumn, or wait til spring?).  And are they likely to need staking next year?  This year the stems have been self supporting - do they get taller in subsequent years?

OH is planning to put up posts and wires, but not sure it is necessary.

many thanks image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,102

I cut them back to knee high when they stop fruiting, then down to ground level in February.  I don't stake mine, but I do sort of loop strings/wire around them to hold them against the fence, just to stop them flopping and waving about in the wind.  They don't need the more formal post and wire set up like summer ones do. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,405

Wonderful - thanksDove - that saves Mr Chicky a job thenimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,102

I'm sure you can find him something else to do - it doesn't do to let them have time on their hands image

Mine's just announced that he's got next week booked off work (to work in the studio) - he didn't tell me earlier in case I started making a list imageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• You can cut them back any time after they're finished cropping. Most books say to do it in the winter, but I like to do it before they weather gets too bad.  You can also leave some of the canes uncut, and they'll give you some summer fruit next year, spreading the crop over a longer period.

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,087

I don't touch the Autumn ones until the Spring then I just cut out the old growth, leaving the pale green stems to crop again. I have never staked them as they seem to form natural bushes - Do have trouble with suckers though turning up all over the veg plot instead of staying close to Mum or Dad on the edge. I have grubbed these out and planted them elsewhere or given them to friends.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,405

Thanks all image

(NB Mr Chicky never responds to lists out of principle - it all gets done eventually.  I have learned to my cost that asking a second time counts as a "nag" - and qualifies for an automatic 6 month delay as penanceimage)