Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Baby figs

Not 100% on topic but please stay with me. I recently had a dessert in my local fast pizza chain. Baby figs with Marsala and Mascarpone cheese. Absolutely divine. My fig tree is covered in small fruits about an inch in diameter and there is no way they will ripen now. If I soak them, poach even, in Marsala, are they likely to be edible ?

Many thanks in advance.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't grow figs but as I understand it they develop this year and ripen next.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    The figs that will develop next year are at the moment tiny; they will remain like that until next Spring when they will start to grow. If they are big enough to be recognisable as a fig they will not be any use and can be removed in the Autumn.

Ivyhouse, you can try poaching them, but I fear you will be disappointed. I tried it many years ago and was not successful. But, experimentation is what it's all about.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Welsh have you ever had a rusty coloured leaf and fruit infedction on you figs ,one of my plants has it and i dont know what or why,any ideas

• Thanks all. It seems such a shame to have to trash the crop but I do recall they all drop off over the winter anyway. Mine is a Brown Turkey but does anybody know which variety produces the small fruit suitable for poaching ?

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Ivyhouse the problem is our climate, rather than trying to name a few figs that also do ok here why not go to Reads nursery on line info,follow the  info and go to Figs

http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/categories/Fig-Trees/    it should help.        

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Alan, the leaves will all drop in the near future so I would wait and see what the leaves are like next Spring.