London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
5 messages
13/10/2013 at 20:44

Hi

Today I harvested all my barlotto beans from the garden - I've got tonnes of them!

I plan to dry then fully before storing, but I need to know if I need to freeze them first.  I read somewhere that you need to freeze them for 48 hours before drying, otherwise next spring I'm likely to get lots of creatures hatching out of them.

Has anyone heard of this?

is it necessary?

should I pod and then freeze, or freeze and then pod?

Thank

Katy

14/10/2013 at 00:43

I'm very jealous, with the weather being the way it was last Spring we only planted a few. Delicious in soups and casseroles. I haven't done it myself but if you want to I'd suggest podding then freezing before drying (and sharing your growing tips )

14/10/2013 at 00:52

If you have room in your freezer I wouldn't bother to dry them, just store them in the freezer.  You can use them from frozen.

14/10/2013 at 06:10

Yes, using them from frozen saves having to soak them before cooking.  

On the other hand rows of jars of beans on the pantry shelves look so reassuring 

16/10/2013 at 15:47

Thanks all for your replies

hmm - growing tips.  Planted then out into raised beds as young plants after the first frost, then pretty much ignored them until last weekend.  Nearly lost them to black fly early on but once the ladybirds moved in all was fine.  In fairness though I live in Luxembourg so our summers are a little better.  But we still had a shocking spring!!!

I've been informed by an Italian colleague that it's barlotti as barlotto is singular - you learn something new every day

She took some fresh ones off my hands and says they're delicious in soups.

thanks again

katy

email image
5 messages