9 messages
10/06/2013 at 13:20

Hello - my first time of growing green beans so soz in advnace for rather basic question.  The ones outside are being a little slow - but steady.  The ones in the greenhouse however have sprinted up!  What do I do now they have reached the tops of the canes supporting them?  Do I just snip off the ends, or wind the ends downwards to get even more growth?  Thanks in advance!

10/06/2013 at 13:47

What beans are you growing in a greenhouse?-some need pollinators

Outside you usually tip them and then the side shoots form to grow as well.

10/06/2013 at 13:52

They are called Scarlet Emperor.  Shall I put them outside if they need pollinators?  Easily done as they are in a pot.  Out of interest, tomoates dont need pollinators then? (sorry - another basic question!!).

Thanks Lazy gardener!

10/06/2013 at 14:23

They are runner beans -they need to go outside for the bees to do their work-they may get set back by the change of conditions-normally you would harden them off-and it does not sound as if you can do that now-so just be aware

Tomatoes -no they are self pollinators-just give them a slight shake occasionally when passing

10/06/2013 at 14:43

Okie dokie - thanks ever so much!

10/06/2013 at 16:19

Beans are thirsty and will need a lot of watering.

You may find you will need to tie them loosely to the canes until they stabilise,especially if we get some wind.

Not sure how high your canes are,and if you are going to plant in a wigwam or row,but the canes should be 6ft minimum.

10/06/2013 at 17:16

I grow Scarlet Emperor outside in the ground. I feed and water them and they grow up and then when there are no more poles they just hang down. We had masses last year, gave lots away. Never heard of them being grown in a GH. My canes are over 2 metres tall after sticking the bottoms in the ground.

10/06/2013 at 18:06

Thanks GllyL and Busy-Lizzie.  I'll relegate them to the outdoors.  Pity it's not a little warmer here in the East Midlands as I think they have got quite used to a cosy greenhouse! 

I love the idea of being good enough at growing veg to be able to give it away. 

10/06/2013 at 18:34

Harden them off gently - outdoors in a shady place to start with daytime only, back inside at night for several days then introduce them to more sunshine during the daytime - only when the leaves have toughened up can you leave them out all the time - the growth will be very soft having been inside a greenhouse. 

email image
9 messages