London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
10 messages
30/07/2013 at 19:26

Has anyone got any ideas on beatinthat oes pesky WHITE FLY.

30/07/2013 at 19:27

Has anyone got any good ideas on beating those pesky WHITE FLY

31/07/2013 at 19:06

A few points to consider, whitefly reproduce incredibly quickly in a greenhouse and that means resistance to chemicals is prolific with whitefly.

The ideal way to get around this is to use two distinct chemical groups, ideally for the casual gardener a neonicitinoid (systemic) and a pyrethroid.

Spraying them alternately at two week basis starting with the nicitinoid would give you good control.

I would recommend Py as the Pyrethroid and something containing thiacloprid (there are lots of products) for the systemic. The idea is to knock out one that becomes resistant to the other.

Other methods to consider are biological controls, however they preclude the use of most chemicals, need to be sourced carefully and they are never 100% effective. Their big upside is they can potentially survive indefinitely (given a heated greenhouse and some care) and even whitefly can’t become resistant to being eaten!

The Bearded One

31/07/2013 at 19:13

well i had white fly all over my lemon tree and the only thing to do was to wash the leaves with soapy water and wash  surrounds and mist and leave more space around the tree ,will it work ?I hope so.

01/08/2013 at 00:50

It will reduce the infestation but I cant see it making a great impact, what your effectively doing is covering the sphericals (breathing holes) on the insect's body, useful but you need good coverage and they breed at a terrifying rate.

Py would deal with the whitefly far better if they aren’t resistant but the systemic chemical is only recommended on certain edibles

01/08/2013 at 23:06

Why oh why do people run to the chemicle counter every time they find a white/green fly attack?

Do what mother nature has done for many many years,

if you have the likes of tagetes planted in the greenhouse or in the open garden you'll not see any sign of these pest (green/white fly,)

the same gose for couch grass, plant tomato plants in the area we're this couch is growing and it will disapear,

its natures chemicle way of dealing with the problem (not man made poison)

02/08/2013 at 12:38

Smokin, whilst I agree with you chemicals aren’t the only way to deal with them, I have never had good success with companion planting and the OP I believe has a problem he wants solved quickly rather than in 2 months or so.

Whilst you shouldn’t go pouring litres of chemicals everywhere you go, they do have their place when used responsibly and I did also recommend biological agents (one I forgot to mention is Bacillus thuringiensis a soil dwelling bacteria)

04/08/2013 at 07:02

I did think all my reply out before i put it to print, and ive said it a million times, chemicles are "not" the first answer to this question,

a bit of pre planning and a lot of winter reading pre sowing in the spring will save you growing food to cover with chemicles and then eat it.5Washing the outside of food isn't washing whats inside it)

Im afraid to say that chemicles instant re-action and choice seems to be the modern way of gardening by some,

ie how can i do little and get an imediate perfect crop!!!

it comes in the same terms as the loss of hand writing a letter, its becoming a think of the past , why not use the  www idea, why go to the trouble & time of sitting down and writing; "putting the effort in"

Ive never said gardening was easy, ive never said you can have it all for little or no effort,

But like that letter that arrives with your name on it written by the person who took the time and effort "its been done with"

effort and the gardens the same,

Believe me, chemicles are not the answer,

regards Smokin donkey.

04/08/2013 at 10:36

No use for this year, but the best advice is not to buy plants in.  Grow as much as you can from seed as bought-in plants are usually infested with the things.

In the meantime you can reduce their impact by using the vacuum cleaner to suck them up.  But try not to electrocute yourself!

04/08/2013 at 23:38

@ Smokin Donkey

As you said pre planning and good winter sowing will help I sow phacelia for that very reason it attracts lacewings, avoiding mono-crops and encouraging native wildlife will cut down drasticly on pests (otherwise we would be moving through a cloud of whitefly so thick it would be like polystyrene) however, that is not going to help the poster with his current problem unless he sees fit to keep them hanging around whilst he waits for his plants to grow.

@Welshonion

Of course you always should grow what you can yourself, its so much more satisfying that way. However if you check plants you buy in then you should get no problem from a good nursery or plant shop.

email image
10 messages