London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
7 messages
25/08/2013 at 10:08

Hi all

Bank holiday weekend on allotment down south. Guess what its raining. Things still need picking! Lots of beetroot any ideas other then boiling them please. I don't like them pickled. Ive been reading courgette recipes. Some gr8 ones which i will try. Thanks again

25/08/2013 at 10:41

Beetroot wiith an Indian taste?

4 beetroot, raw, peeled and sliced as thick as a one pound coin.

2 onions, chopped

2 tablespoons oil

2 teaspoons whole cumin seed

a pinch of fenugreek seed

half a teaspoon mustard seed

3 green chilis (sorry, Stacey, don't know what kind is best. I just use small ones)

1 cup of coconut milk from a can 

Cut each beetroot slice into strips 1 cm wide. Heat the oil and gently fry the onions for about 3 mins. Add the spices and some salt. When everything smells aromatic, add the beetroot. Cook for 5 mins on a medium heat. Add the coconut milk , cover the pan and simmer for 10 mins. Uncover the pan and cook gently for another 15 to 20 mins.

25/08/2013 at 11:13

Wash them wrap them in foil and bake them - peel when hot and serve with EVOO and a squirt of lemon juice, or balsamic.  Or they're delicious with a parsley sauce 

and of course there's loads of recipes for borscht

http://natashaskitchen.com/2010/09/26/classic-russian-borscht-recipe/

or try the one with beef in it like my Tatar daughter-in-law

makes http://www.cookuk.co.uk/ethnic/russian/borsch.htm

25/08/2013 at 11:22

I had a slice of beetroot cake from a friend. It was OK but I didn't ask for the recipe

25/08/2013 at 11:28

Hi CMM. If it's supermarket pickled beetroot you don't like I'm with you all the way (done in malt vingar so very harsh).

I do, however, like sweet pickled beetroot which has a little finely sliced shallot,celery seed and sugar added to the usual pickling spices and is done in a nicer vinegar (I use red wine vinegar but a cheap balsamic might work - I do shallots in that). It's a world apart from the supermarket stuff & it's ready to eat in a few days.

I also like raw grated beetroot (remove the skin!) mixed with grated carrot, a little bit of mild onion, chopped parsley and french dressing. 

25/08/2013 at 12:45

Try it boiled in salads. Would beetroot mash, like carrot/swede do?

29/08/2013 at 20:13

Sorry for late reply. And thank you all for taking the trouble to reply. I will be trying most of these. Just had a couple tonight with a dash of balsamic on. Even that made a difference.  Thanks again.

email image
7 messages